Sign in to follow this  
Pax3

Is This Oc Configuration Ok?

Hi there,

After reading a bit about OC I decided to give it a try.

According to the images I've uploaded, do you guys think this configration is ok? I didn't OC'd my RAM (I don't know how to do it and if I should do it).

I don't know if I should go over 2,8Ghz because I don't want the pc to go unstable or risk it's longevity.

e2180

ASUS P5K-SE

XFX 9600GT Alpha Dog Edition

2x2Gb A-Data 800Mhz G-Series

Thx

post-65990-1233093909_thumb.jpg

post-65990-1233093922_thumb.jpg

post-65990-1233101449_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pax3

It appears your processor is only running at about 1.7ghz, and your is CPU 2.0 ghz at stock. Are you sure you didn't at some time bump your FSB down or something of like because your CPU is actually underclocked at the moment.

It appears your processor is only running at about 1.7ghz, and your is CPU 2.0 ghz at stock. Are you sure you didn't at some time bump your FSB down or something of like because your CPU is actually underclocked at the moment.

Not really! The multiplier changes automatically between 6x and 10x according to the CPU needs. This way it saves energy (it has to do with my motherboard, I guess). So, when it's required, the CPU runs at 2,8Ghz (10x280FSB).

Not really! The multiplier changes automatically between 6x and 10x according to the CPU needs. This way it saves energy (it has to do with my motherboard, I guess). So, when it's required, the CPU runs at 2,8Ghz (10x280FSB).

Should you not show the images with it running at 2.8GHz then? :blink:;)

Cheers

Paul

Should you not show the images with it running at 2.8GHz then? :blink:;)

Cheers

Paul

Ok. Done. 3rd picture.

Back to my initial question, are these the propper settings for my PC?

Thx :)

Ok. Done. 3rd picture.

Back to my initial question, are these the propper settings for my PC?

Thx :)

It looks pretty good, I would disable the speedstep feature though. I have seen on more than one more occasion where the OS fails to handle it properly and fails to bring it up to speed fast enough or at the proper times. Unless this is a HTPC rig I would disable it to ensure you are at full speed all the time.

BTW: Don't be concerned with decreasing the longevity of the chip. It's true that OC'ing can decrease the life of your chip but often as enthusiasts we trade out cpus long before that ever comes into play. The silicon can handle much more than that and even at safe increased speeds it will outlast every other component.

It looks pretty good, I would disable the speedstep feature though. I have seen on more than one more occasion where the OS fails to handle it properly and fails to bring it up to speed fast enough or at the proper times. Unless this is a HTPC rig I would disable it to ensure you are at full speed all the time.

BTW: Don't be concerned with decreasing the longevity of the chip. It's true that OC'ing can decrease the life of your chip but often as enthusiasts we trade out cpus long before that ever comes into play. The silicon can handle much more than that and even at safe increased speeds it will outlast every other component.

Ok, thanks for your reply : )

The OC looks good. Have you run any stability tests like OCCT or Prime95?

Nope. Since I'm not pulling my CPU that much and my PC didn't freeze ever since I've assumed everything's ok.

Nope. Since I'm not pulling my CPU that much and my PC didn't freeze ever since I've assumed everything's ok.

What's the point of OCing if you don't use your CPU that much? :)

Just because it hasn't frozen doesn't mean it's stable. You should test your stability because otherwise you never know when your PC could just crash out of nowhere and maybe take whatever you're working on or doing with it. Stability testing is very easy and should be a mandatory part of any permanent OC.

What's the point of OCing if you don't use your CPU that much? :)

By that I meant I'm not stretching its OC capability to it's fullest, not that I don't use my CPU that much.

I'll run a stability test.

Thx