Light Painting

jammin

hardnrg was playing about with some light painting a bit during our CES trip, so I thought I would give it a go.

The only downside is that the maximum exposure time on my camera is a pretty lame 15 seconds, and as it is also quite ancient there aren't any firmware hacks available for it.

Having such a short period of time meant that I had to wave around my LED torch (5 blue LEDs) like a frenzied madman.

Thank god I was in a darkened room on my own. :lol:

Anyway, here are the results (well, a few that didn't go too wrong anyway):

IMG_5879-1.jpg

IMG_5866.jpg

IMG_5872-1.jpg

IMG_5893-1.jpg

IMG_5898-1.jpg

IMG_5902-1.jpg

IMG_5906-1.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is pretty cool. I don't want to sound like a camera noob (which I am) but how do you do that?

- Find somewhere to rest your camera (a tripod is good, but a flat surface should work fine)

- Set the shutter speed to the longest you can. Will probably need to be in manual mode, though it will obviously vary depending on camera how (if you can?) you adjust this.

The longest shutter speed on my camera is 15 seconds (Canon A75). If you have the option to go really long, then you may want to use a slightly shorter timing.

- Set a delay on when the exposure will start (I have 2 second and 10 second options.. went for the latter)

- Stand in front of the camera with your flash light of choice and wait for the shutter to open

- Wave flash light around, attempting to make shapes or patterns

- Shutter closes, camera probably takes a bit of time to process the picture and then you look and see if it went wrong. :lol:

That is pretty cool. I don't want to sound like a camera noob (which I am) but how do you do that?

That is pretty sweet. To do it, you just set the exposure time to a lengthy interval (apparently longer than 15 seconds from what Jammin was saying). Then you go into a pitch black room with a flashlight (LED torch in jammin's case). Open the shutter on the camera to expose the film/light sensor and move/turn on/off your light source.

Those are really cool, Jammin; nice work! For the last picture, did you step forward at the last second; so your hands wouldn't be captured waving?

For the last picture, I actually sat with the light turned towards my face first.

I only waved the light at the camera for the last 5 seconds or so.