Would You Buy A 24" Monitor Or 22" 120hz Monitor?

madu

ok once again. WHO MAKES A 120HZ MONITOR????? everyone keeps talking about them yet nobody knows who makes them or where to find one????

Click my Google link above.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.. so now it seems the problem is to know whether this is really worth it.. whether it is a gimmick or for real..

I guess you have to really experience it yourself.. wonder if the experience is 'subjective'...

You could just buy a 32" 1080p 120 Hz TV. :)

Not possible when you buy off a research fund :closedeyes:

monitor is OK, but a TV? :)

hey wacokid. i've herad from a friend that a tv has a built in processor??? like the sony bravia's use some like awesome processor which is why their pic quality is so much better then other lcd tv's??? im not big on tvs so i really have no idea, maybe u know of this........

• 5 months later...
hey wacokid. i've herad from a friend that a tv has a built in processor??? like the sony bravia's use some like awesome processor which is why their pic quality is so much better then other lcd tv's??? im not big on tvs so i really have no idea, maybe u know of this........

Yes tvs have a built in processor, they need them because the maximum fps the tv will receive is 30fps unless there is a computer hooked to it so to display at 120 or even 240hz it has to multiply the frames 4-8 times to create a fluid picture. Most bluray movies are 24.7 fps although 30fps is technically possible.

The benefit of higher refresh rates is that the white trails behind moving objects is reduced. 120hz being half as long as 60hz.

If your monitor is 60 hz it doesn't matter how many frames you gpu can produce it will only display 60 of those frames so 120hz will utilize more of your gpu making the money you spent on it more worth it.

the Nvidia 3D is no gimmick. I used it at a computer store today and it is amazing.

The way Nvidia 3D works is the gpu generates 2 60hz display profiles one for each eye. Each profile has a different in game camera angle that 2 distinctly different views. These are then displayed alternately frame by frame to generate a 120hz picture.

Without the glasses your monitor looks broken. Each lense of the classes is filled with the same materials as a lcd monitor only its not divided into pixels. They blacken each lens alternately so that each eye only sees the image intended for that eye. This is synchronized with the monitor via the wireless signal.

Configured properly you can't tell that you are not looking out a window. There are no blurred edges or trailing. The image is perfectly crisp. if you have a compatible gfx card then the rest of the shtuffs will set you back about $600.

There is another 3D monitor technology that runs almost half the price but you have to buy a specific monitor. Unlike Nvidia, it uses polarized lenses, one eye horizontal the other vertical, and the monitor displays the images so that the edges of the objects are polarized so it appears to be 3d, i don't know exactly how this is achieved though.

This creates a very poor quality picture and the light and dark areas around objects is VERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY noticible and i woulnd not consider buying it even if nvidia didnt hvae a better product.

I have a 30" monitor so i'm reluctant to downsize. but if you primarily game 2" of resolution is trivial.

Put simply if you give 2 guys $650 to buy a monitor the same day and 1 buys a $600 24" 60hz and the other buys a 22" 120 and the 3d kit. and they sit next to each other at a lan party. the guy with the 24" monitor is going to feel stupid, maybe even die a little on the inside. Plus without the glasses it would be real hard to screen peek....... alternately with the glasses you will only be able to see other monitors with 1 eye.....

way to bring a thread back from the dead, anyways did he ever get a 24" or that overpriced gimmick that to this day looks choppy and hurts my head.

i watch a bluray movie on my friends 60" Samsung 120hz LCD and i could barely look at the screen. with it set to 60 i had no problems.

Edited by hornybluecow

The 120hz TV's I've seen just look entirely artificial and just outright strange, I assume from interpolation. I am running just a few month old 22" Diamondtron CRT, and at 120hz it still looks normal, and natural.

• 4 months later...
I have seen the 3D effect running. It is amazing. However I want a monitor to come out that is bigger than 24 inch and also does 120Hz.

That would be exactly my opinion. If a 24" 3D 1920x1200 LCD comes out, Im getting one.

I think he's saying, how many sources are 120Hz?

I still stand by my post and say, let the poor guy go see with his own eyes. :)

+1

And Waco, not everyone is exactly like you. People are different and so their preferences are different. This is something where you need to go out and look at it yourself, then choose.

that monitor is 1680x1050?

I would never ever buy that, ESPECIALLY in 120hz.

if the resolution is the same then obviously you want the higher refresh rate.

Edited by potatochobit