Would You Buy A 24" Monitor Or 22" 120hz Monitor?

madu

Your computer, for one. Movies are at 24 FPS and don't scale to 60 Hz properly. However, they scale perfectly to 120 Hz. This is why movies look so much smoother on a 120 Hz set versus a 60 Hz set. The 3:2 pulldown just messes things up on 60 Hz sets.

Hey, if you can notice the difference, more power to you. If not, it's just a gimmick. A pretty pricey one.

:rolleyes:

I'll just go back to playing my games at 60fps on my 60Hz LCD...I'm NOT saying there aren't any advantages...I could just care less.

EDIT: I'm obviously not alone...just go look at the AVS forum. Maybe I've just looked at cheaper models, who knows?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you have a brain or eye problem if you see 120FPS as worse.

:lol: I'm thinking it's more along the lines of he doesn't want to buy one and is making excuses for himself.

I wish I could replace my monitor but right now I just don't have the money. In the meantime the juddering in movies is really distracting. :( I would have been better off if I hadn't spent time messing with a 120 Hz set. :lol:

Hey, if you can notice the difference, more power to you. If not, it's just a gimmick. A pretty pricey one.

I'm honestly pretty surprised that some people can't see the difference...

I'm NOT saying there aren't any advantages...I could just care less.

Then you do care! :lol:

does the 24" have anything else going for it, other than 2" extra inches? compare everything, including the warranty and warranty period imo. I can tell the difference between 60 and 120, but its not a huge deal to me and I don't get headaches from it.

Edited by Fight Game

does the 24" have anything else going for it, other than 2" extra inches? compare everything, including the warranty and warranty period imo

well the res jump from 1680x1050 ---> 1920x1200. That's a nice improvement (as I just jumped from 22" to 24")

LOL..

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

But I still didn't get what I really wanna know.

As far as I know, the 3D thing is only possible(?) if the monitor is 120Hz. So if I buy a normal monitor I wouldnt be able to use 3D.

Now I what I want to know is, if you guys ever had to make a decision between a 24" monitor, which will give you 1920-res, AND a 22" monitor with 3D BUT 1680-res, which way would you go and why?

I have not seen how good this 3D thing is, but I'm pretty sure it will be mainstream pretty soon...

On the other hand, they dont have 1920-res, and also lacks 2" which is pretty big for a desktop monitor...

and once I spend a $600+ on a monitor, I wouldnt buy one for more than 2 years..

So which way would you guys go AND what do you guys also think of the 3D thing?

Cheers.

LOL..

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

But I still didn't get what I really wanna know.

As far as I know, the 3D thing is only possible(?) if the monitor is 120Hz. So if I buy a normal monitor I wouldnt be able to use 3D.

Now I what I want to know is, if you guys ever had to make a decision between a 24" monitor, which will give you 1920-res, AND a 22" monitor with 3D BUT 1680-res, which way would you go and why?

I have not seen how good this 3D thing is, but I'm pretty sure it will be mainstream pretty soon...

On the other hand, they dont have 1920-res, and also lacks 2" which is pretty big for a desktop monitor...

and once I spend a $600+ on a monitor, I wouldnt buy one for more than 2 years..

So which way would you guys go AND what do you guys also think of the 3D thing?

Cheers.

I'd get the 1920x1200 it's 100% versatile for any situation, you won't be able to use the 3D glasses in anything other than games. The higher resolution will let you work on alot of stuff or have alot of windows fit in nicely. Plus you have a 260, it'd be a waste to have gotten it only to run it at 22" resolution. you could got a 4850 or 4870 to handle that :P. Just my $0.02

I'd get the 120 Hz set because of the 3D glasses support, being able to display film properly, and because you could run Vsyc at much higher FPS before becoming noticeably slow. The difference in resolution isn't as drastic as being able to display motion fluidly IMHO.

I'd get the 120 Hz set because of the 3D glasses support, being able to display film properly, and because you could run Vsyc at much higher FPS before becoming noticeably slow. The difference in resolution isn't as drastic as being able to display motion fluidly IMHO.

That's a good point too, really either decision is by no means a bad decision.