Got 4.2ghz On E8500..need Moar Powah!!!

Marne_Aeok

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look here to find the full specs for your CP. I'd have given you the right page, but I don't know if you have C0 or E0 stepping... Anyways, ~73C is the maximum temperature you can run, and 1.3625V is Intel's suggested max voltage. However, you can probably run ~1.425 or a little higher just fine. I bet you can get it up to 5 GHz.

and that 73 or so degrees is the CPU temp, I think the cores themselves are safe to run even up to the nineties

dammit man im trying to hit 4.6 >_< i had it at 4.5 and it was "stable". i couldnt clear prime to save its life but it ran orthos for like 1 1/2 hrs. than i got greedy and trie dto hit 4.6 (i swear ill stop there LOL) i cant get it to run past one damn min of orthos. i have all my voltages at the highest green setting in the bios of my 790i. its set at 1.5v in bios but in windows it says its 1.4 sumthin volts. do you think i should give it a bit of the first red setting for the cpu,fsb, scp,mcp thingamabobs? id rather not burn this chip lol. if it does i will be upset but hey it happens - my GF on ther hand would beat the life out of me with the whole blasted PC. she just bought this for me at the start of the year :D

what do you guys recommend? dont worry if i burn it its my fault i know. would you guys risk it lol?

dammit man im trying to hit 4.6 >_< i had it at 4.5 and it was "stable". i couldnt clear prime to save its life but it ran orthos for like 1 1/2 hrs. than i got greedy and trie dto hit 4.6 (i swear ill stop there LOL) i cant get it to run past one damn min of orthos. i have all my voltages at the highest green setting in the bios of my 790i. its set at 1.5v in bios but in windows it says its 1.4 sumthin volts. do you think i should give it a bit of the first red setting for the cpu,fsb, scp,mcp thingamabobs? id rather not burn this chip lol. if it does i will be upset but hey it happens - my GF on ther hand would beat the life out of me with the whole blasted PC. she just bought this for me at the start of the year :D

what do you guys recommend? dont worry if i burn it its my fault i know. would you guys risk it lol?

my quad is set to 1.5v in bios but the vdroop of the board has it varying from actually supplying 1.36v to 1.44v in windows. It wouldn't hurt to try if even for one or two boots.

back at 4.3ghz got tired and gave up for awhile on the the OC. im off work tomorrow so i can try again than i if i dont do it today. anyone with a e8500 could you give me your settings to at least give me a starting point to see if my chip likes your settings? it may or may not work lol. again if i brick it its my fault.

Woah! You're doing this a little strange. Don't just up everything at once. You need to see what the max speeds everything can take. First you should see what your RAM can do. Lower you CPU multiplier and raise your FSB until the RAM fails MemTest. Give the RAM as much as or a little more than the manufacturer says. Maybe 0.2V overvoltage. Then you can see how high the CPU multiplier can be set. You may find out a lower multiplier and a higher FSB works best. There's many things that can limit your overclock. RAM, FSB, and CPU can all affect your OC.