Got 4.2ghz On E8500..need Moar Powah!!!

Marne_Aeok

alright as some of you may know i bought this system from a dude on another forum for 900 bucks. yes its a steal of the year :)

[email protected]

4 gigs Patriot DDR3 @ 1800mhz

gtx 260 vanilla @ 691/1512/1188

EVGA 790i Ultra board

id really like some help with this OC. could someone please help me set this thing higher? im reading everywhere that ppl can get this thing to 4.4 on AIR let alone WC >_< i wanna hit 4.5 daily at least. here are my temps

Part temp lo/high

GTX 260 44c/53c

E8500 44/55c with prime95 running to load it

i have crazy airflow going on. heat is NOT a blasted problem. i just honestly dont know what to do to make it faster. please help. i will NOT hold anyone on this board,the site itself or anybody else resposible if i frag my rig. it would be completly and utterly my fault. im not doing anything this weekend so ill be on most likely if someone feels like walking me thru the process of gettign this thing to go where i KNOW it can go.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My E8400 will do 4.45Ghz(556x8 or 495x9) and no more, well I can boot to windows but no testing will pass. Prob just needs more Vcore then I comfortable with, seems the E8600's clock better. Oh this is on Air and 58C load. Funny thing is there are many people with Q9650's on my same board clocking just as high on the same volts, I just dont think I have the cooling for it

Edited by SpeedEuphoria

got it to 4.5 @ 1.336v - i told it to use 1.4 tho in BIOS - it wont stay at that voltage

im using small FFT in prime 95 64bit and its making me go from 33c idle to 49c load temps. highest temp ive seen is 52c on each core

Have you tried and found the max fsb on which your ram can top out, meaning putting a voltage for the rams you are comfortable with and finding the max it can achieve. You can do this by lowering the cpu multi to its lowest and increase your ram's fsb higher at a voltage you are comfortable at. That will give you headroom for cpu multiplier down the line. That way, when you have found the max stable fsb using memtest, at least you can rule out the ram as your overclock fails. Then using the fsbxcpu multiplier, increase the cpu speed gradually, I usually go 0.5 ghz at a time, and if you found the max that it can go by not booting, lower it by .10 then test, if it fails increase the vcore gradually to your comfortable liking and the temps you are willing to take it. It is a long process but its the way to do it, unless you can find a similar system that's comparable to yours, and that they have settings that past prime or orthos for at least 8hrs, try their settings out and see if it will work for you. Just keep in mind that each and every system OC's differently, even if the systems are identical, they will not OC the same, or achieve the same levels of speed, especially with cpu's.

oh i know they wont OC the same no matter what lol. im just confused at what half the stuff int he BIOS means. i dont have any burning software so i cant run memtest :( - any free burning software out there?

Memtest can also be booted up by floppy, its easy. For myself I have one and also have one on a cd, along with many other utility tools. Try the floppy one, its super easy.

Edit: Here, try this thread out, if you have Nero, then you're good to go. Those Nero cd's normally come free with cd rom drives.

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=101851

free stuff.....

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.p...howtopic=138312

Edited by Voltes_5

sitting at 4504mhz on the proc. it boots into windows fine and i can surf all day no probs. as soon as i fire up prime95 the 1st core crashes. i keep bumping up the voltages in the bios lil by lil in the hopes that it will pass prime for more than 3 min. funny thing is it doesnt register the voltage adjustments in windows (cpuz & nvidia performance tab thingies verified) - any idea what int he hell is the prob? i dont wanna keep adding voltage and accidently brick my proc cuz of some dumb error. please help me here in gettign this thing under control. in other good news it passes memtest no prob now.