Sign in to follow this  
Savan

Replacement Car Speakers

the biggest probelm with replacing stock with speakers like that is making sure the depth dimensions fit. plus try to fit the rms rating around what your putting out, without a amp, most decks dont put out half of the rms on those. might be overkill. idk your whole setup

I'm sorry if this comes across as arrogant because I don't like car stereo stuff, but a $20 set of speakers might sound like... well, not that good.

How old is your car? Newer cars have speakers that usually aren't that bad (IMO, might even beat a $20 set). Older cars can have pure junk and will probably be worse than what you've listed.

Those are nice. Have heard them before. But I get the feeling that the OP isn't wanting to spend that much........I would though

To quickly answer your question these speakers would most likely sound very thin and weak, with an over-emphasis on treble (imagine glass shards dancing on your ear drums). This is due to the cheap aluminum voice coil and tweeter. The aluminum vc is also more prone to failure, so I would assume these speakers to have a very short life span. As others have said the power rating is a bit overkill, which will cause the speakers to sound thin and weak and possibly even over work your head unit. Also as Cirro said the depth is crucial to get right, and seems to be a bit of a problem on bigger speakers. Your best bet is to look for something similar at a local retail store and then find it cheaper on-line (if you can). That way you have a better idea of what you are getting into. Some recommended brands would be Pioneer, Sony, Audiobahn, and JL Audio. Best of luck. :thumbs-up:

thanks for the help. I ended up going with these http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB461/Polk...461.html?tp=100. They were 30% off because Circuit City is going out of business.

So how much did you end up paying for them? I have a set of the 5 1/4 in version of those speakers in my closet. They will be perfect for low power headunits/standard aftermarket units. Just careful if you ever decide to hook them up to an amp as they distort very easy on an amp. (even with a crossover)

they were $60, and I like how they sound compared to the stock speakers. Next I need a better radio, but that will be a while