Guide To Smp Folding With Linux In Vmware

CheeseMan42

On a Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz running dual SMP clients for instance the WU 2674 in getting 3600 ppd, so your looking at around 7200 ppd.

Hey road-runner, does native Linux make that big of a difference? Running VMWare with Ubuntu, I'm getting ~1,700 PPD per SMP. If I can get even 6,000+ PPD with 2 SMP in native Linux, I will should switch over then. I'm gettin at total of ~6,200 PPD with 2 Linux SMP in VMWare and a GPU2 on one of the 4870s.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey road-runner, does native Linux make that big of a difference? Running VMWare with Ubuntu, I'm getting ~1,700 PPD per SMP. If I can get even 6,000+ PPD with 2 SMP in native Linux, I will should switch over then. I'm gettin at total of ~6,200 PPD with 2 Linux SMP in VMWare and a GPU2 on one of the 4870s.

Right now with WU 2671 on a Q6600 at 3.2Ghz I am getting 6,000 ppd, this would be my lowest clocked quad the one that says NZXT Quad #1 and #2 in the image...

post-6351-1234392886_thumb.jpg

So basically, I should run native Linux with 2 SMPs. I looks like I can net more PPD from 2 SMPs in native Linux than from the 2 SMPs in VMWare and the GPU2 combined, lol. Could I run GPU2 in VMWare with Windows to get even more? I know NVidia cards work with WINE, but I have ATI.

So basically, I should run native Linux with 2 SMPs. I looks like I can net more PPD from 2 SMPs in native Linux than from the 2 SMPs in VMWare and the GPU2 combined, lol. Could I run GPU2 in VMWare with Windows to get even more? I know NVidia cards work with WINE, but I have ATI.

Yes it will work, whether or not you will gain I dont know. Bad thing about ATI is it needs almost a complete core to run, try it and see let us know, all you have to loose is a little setup time... :unsure:

Okay I have two problems:

1. After getting 2 VM's, samba, and Fahmon setup (I named both my Ubuntu accounts the same name), I can only seem to get one of my VM's to show up in my network. I'm certain I set them both up properly, but the second one won't appear.

2. Well, I'll let you guys take a look at this and tell me why my Q6600 is going so slow. Here's a pic of the 2 VM's and in Fahmon you can see that from the one VM that I did get to show up, it's only going to give a little over 1100 ppd. And you guys are talking about getting 3000ppd per one smp client on a Q6600. Now, my Q6600 is only clocked at 2.7GHz and will put it up to 3.0 later, but I don't really intend on going much higher than that. Is it really just that your Q6600's are clocked much higher that you're able to get so many more points?

1) As long as you set both of them up correctly, then it sounds like a problem with networking. Have you tried restarting the virtual machine?

2) I'm getting ~1300 PPD on each of my VMs at 3.0 GHz. The 3000 ppd is clocked higher and run in native Linux.

You know, I just realized that I'm going to have some issues installing native Linux :( I don't have any partitions for it... I have one 50 GB partition with Vista on it, a 250 GB partition with applications on it (not nearly full though), and a 950 GB partition with movie and music and the like. Guess I'll have to install native Linux on my newer rigs that are ready to be powered up at home. Can I use a copy of Windows in a VM and as a native install on the same machine? That way I can either boot into Windows or just run it in VMWare. Also, does native Linux support ATI folding, or do I need Windows for that? Also, any way to monitor your PPD in Linux?

You know, I just realized that I'm going to have some issues installing native Linux :( I don't have any partitions for it... I have one 50 GB partition with Vista on it, a 250 GB partition with applications on it (not nearly full though), and a 950 GB partition with movie and music and the like. Guess I'll have to install native Linux on my newer rigs that are ready to be powered up at home. Can I use a copy of Windows in a VM and as a native install on the same machine? That way I can either boot into Windows or just run it in VMWare. Also, does native Linux support ATI folding, or do I need Windows for that? Also, any way to monitor your PPD in Linux?

You can split one of your partitions using Vista partition manager. Right click on "My Computer", then select "Manage". Next, go into disk management. Then you can select a partition, choose to reduce its volume so it will leave unused room at the end of it. Finally you can create a new partition using this one. :)

1) As long as you set both of them up correctly, then it sounds like a problem with networking. Have you tried restarting the virtual machine?

2) I'm getting ~1300 PPD on each of my VMs at 3.0 GHz. The 3000 ppd is clocked higher and run in native Linux.

1) Okay I shut both my VM's down and then started my 2nd VM back up and it appeared in my network and was able to add it to Fahmon. Then this morning I started them both up and only my 1st VM showed up in my network. Is there something wrong with naming them both the same thing? I didn't think there would be because my 1st one is name-desktop and then 2nd one is name-desktop2. So I was able to determine that I set up Samba correctly, but for some reasons windows won't recognize them both when they're on at the same time.

2) Ok, well that explains it.

EDIT: Okay I thought I'd elaborate on problem 1. Here's a picture of my network settings, let me know if there's something I need to change to get it to show. I'm assuming vmnet1 and vmnet8 are my two VM's, so they're both showing up. As you can see, both the VM's show up there but when i go to Merge or Delete Network Locations, it says that the 2nd one is not in use.

Does anyone know how to get them both to show up, or if not, how to change one of my names in Ubuntu?

Thanks.

You can split one of your partitions using Vista partition manager. Right click on "My Computer", then select "Manage". Next, go into disk management. Then you can select a partition, choose to reduce its volume so it will leave unused room at the end of it. Finally you can create a new partition using this one. :)

That's great news! Can I also add on space to an existing partition? I've come to realize that 50GB isn't enough for my C drive since so many programs have junky installers that don't allow you to chose the installation directory. I have 2 320s in RAID 1 and have 50 GB for C and 250 GB for D? can I take some D and give it to C and take more D and make a Linux partition?

No what is stupid in Vista partitioner is that you cannot move partitions. Because of that, if you want to extend one, you absolutely need the free space to be right after the partition. :(

If you want to make something like that, I suggest using Gnome Partition Editor. This is a live CD you can boot from, and it allows you to do all the imaginable modifications. :)

Good luck!