d3bruts1d

Lost - Season 5 [spoilers]

Last night's episode probably answered fewer questions than any other episode to date, but was still frigging awesome. It was also probably one of the bloodiest episodes. :lol:

The thing that really caught my eye on yesterday's episode was

learning the origin of the smoke monster. I'm guessing the temple will become

important in future episodes.

Well, we've known for a while that it was a "security system" for the island. The temple was mentioned at the end of last season, though this is the first we've actually seen it. Ben told Richard to take "The Others" to the temple when "not Penny's boat" showed up. Hopefully we'll see more of the temple (and smoky!) this season.

Ugh, I hate that stupid smoke monster. I'm slightly curious as to what exactly it is and who put it there, but I hope they don't spend a lot of time on it

Last night's episode probably answered fewer questions than any other episode to date, but was still frigging awesome. It was also probably one of the bloodiest episodes. :lol:

We did learn that

the current situation came about because Locke didn't follow Jack & Claire's father's directions to the letter. And we also learned (though we had inklings before) that Charlotte was on the island before.

Not sure why we're blacking things out, it's been pointed out that this is a spoiler thread. We're not blacking out things in the BSG thread.

Personally I'm getting pretty bored with the flashing. It's lame that they always end up in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to catch some pertinent piece of history as it happens. It's too obvious.

The temple was cool though and I'm excited to see smoky is back. I hope the explanation we end up getting for him isn't lame. It's going to be a tough one to explain in a believable manor.

Personally I'm getting pretty bored with the flashing. It's lame that they always end up in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to catch some pertinent piece of history as it happens. It's too obvious.

The temple was cool though and I'm excited to see smoky is back. I hope the explanation we end up getting for him isn't lame. It's going to be a tough one to explain in a believable manor.

Lost isn't too believable in the first place. Locke can walk, time travel, Richard never ages, etc.

Not sure why we're blacking things out, it's been pointed out that this is a spoiler thread. We're not blacking out things in the BSG thread.

I'd only suggest using the spoiler tags for information concerning future episodes of the show that aren't covered in the previews... really don't see a need for use when talking about an episode that has aired.

Lost isn't too believable in the first place. Locke can walk, time travel, Richard never ages, etc.

That's certainly true, but there are still levels of believability. Time travel is something that's dealt with a lot in Sci-Fi and is pretty widely accepted by the crowd that genre draws. For example, fantasy fans have no problem with dwarves and elves and wizards, but a purple lion with a unicorn horn sticking out of it's left-front kneecap will probably still be perceived as strange. Certain unrealistic things can be more plausible than others.

Time travel certainly requires a stretch of the imagination, but a smoke monster that sounds like a typewriter and communicates with a camera flash and rips people's arms off requires a bit more, I think :)

For me as an avid Sci-Fi viewer, Lost's crazy antics have not ventured that far out of relative-plausibility, but my point is that I have a feeling the explanation of the smoke monster may push it over the edge for me.

That's certainly true, but there are still levels of believability. Time travel is something that's dealt with a lot in Sci-Fi and is pretty widely accepted by the crowd that genre draws. For example, fantasy fans have no problem with dwarves and elves and wizards, but a purple lion with a unicorn horn sticking out of it's left-front kneecap will probably still be perceived as strange. Certain unrealistic things can be more plausible than others.

Time travel certainly requires a stretch of the imagination, but a smoke monster that sounds like a typewriter and communicates with a camera flash and rips people's arms off requires a bit more, I think :)

For me as an avid Sci-Fi viewer, Lost's crazy antics have not ventured that far out of relative-plausibility, but my point is that I have a feeling the explanation of the smoke monster may push it over the edge for me.

:withstupid: Those I think the special effects of the smoke monster is awesome, I too am a bit disappointed it's back because I too feel it's the only thing that doesn't fit in the realm of realistic possibilities. Now I can be wrong, and maybe they'll come up with some great explanation, but it's still a bit hard to fathom.

Ok, so they've made it back to the island... but when did they make it back to the island? o.O I didn't see the twist coming with the Dharma guy at the end... expected it to be 'Workman' or maybe Ben.

The whole Kate-Aaron thing is just odd... obviously something happened. I get the impression he was kidnapped by Ben's people, and Kate was forced to go back or she'd never see him again.

Next week should be good... a Locke centric episode. :D