Why Wont It Overclock

General

Hello. I'm new here and i would like to ask you fellas a question. i have a Radeon 9000 and want to get more juice out of it. I dowloaded a variety of programs (Radclocker, RivaTuner etc.) but as soon as i moved the slider up even half a notch from 249.5-250 the computer would shut off. I have no idea what to do. im sure that that little increase couldnt cause it to overheat to shutdown point. What should i or can i do

Thanks in advance

Did the 9000 come with your computer when you bought it? And is the computer you bought a storebrand name? (Dull, Gateway, Comcrap,Hp, IBM) If so the manufacturer could have locked the video card and you may not be able to oc your vid card.

no i bought the video card. and i should mention its a saphire with ATI intergrated chip. and im computer i bought from a computer store that made their own computers with their own generic parts and cases.if u check out my case it says my specs.

my current specs are:

P4 1.6ghz intel

768 Kingston 2100

P4 Mainbaord L4S5MG motherbaord (read off the manual)

stock CPU fan

2 Case fans

ATI Radeon 9000

9000 aren't that good to OC i have a 9000 pro and even with a freak custom HS and fan (w/ram sinks) i cant get more than 285/576 but it still gives me full UT2K3 details with good FPS

I did it with riva tuner , do you know how riva works? :unsure:

I'll upgrade soon to the 9600 pro which comes stock out of the box 500/600 :P

Edited by kobalt

cool

now i have a differenct question.

I gave up on my video card after seeing the lenghts kobalt went to just to clock his. im moving on to my CPU. i went in my bios and i can change the clock speed there. i have a choice between 8-23. can someone tell me what this means

TURN THAT OFF!!!! 75C is pushing it. The chip burns out at 90C Remember you only have the original heatsink and fan. Those suck for overclocking. In order to overclock that you will need to buy a better cooler. You may be able to overclock VERY LITTLE. Also I thought that the multiplier was locked on p4s at 20, so that should not have affected his temps unless you also bumped up the fsb. Is there an option where you have a fsb of around 80 or so. I am not sure about 1.6 just know from 2ghz on the mult is set to 20. I think it is the same for that too. If it is the same your fsb should read 80 then. I would turn back all the settings you just changed back and check your temps. For that cooler you should be able to run about 40-50C.

Edited by MadMan

I turned it back to 8 the way it was. Until i buy a new CPU Fan i dont want to chance it. Thing is i wasnt sure if the temp i was seeing was correct. I instlled MBM 5 to monitor my temps but because off all the stupid Sensors i didnt know which was wich. i installed eveything the way the Help menu told me but because i had something running at -55 C then i wasnt to sure about my other temps. What Fan do you think is the best for clocking?