Uh Oh.... Something Screwed Up And Now I Think I'm Screwed

mikozee

I had the same problem with my old HP, and it was the Ram. I suggest trying each module by itself until you find the one that is dead. As by my HP I think the mobo was dieing, because first the blue mem slots didn't work, and now the black ones don't really either. I have to reseat the ram ever time I turn my old HP on(Never :D)

I think you've already determined that your problem is not actually your thermal grease, but I really wanted to clear up another common misconception here:

You do not NEED to use thermal grease.

Plenty of computers run absolutely fine without it. I bet a lot of pre-builts don't have any at all. All it does is lower temps a little. It is in no way required. If you're having problems booting, it is NOT the lack of thermal grease.

Having said that, I can't really think of a good reason not to use it. It's considerably cheap and easy to apply. There's just no reason not to, but again, you don't HAVE to.

I think you've already determined that your problem is not actually your thermal grease, but I really wanted to clear up another common misconception here:

Plenty of computers run absolutely fine without it. I bet a lot of pre-builts don't have any at all. All it does is lower temps a little. It is in no way required. If you're having problems booting, it is NOT the lack of thermal grease.

Having said that, I can't really think of a good reason not to use it. It's considerably cheap and easy to apply. There's just no reason not to, but again, you don't HAVE to.

I can agree with this...when I run PC on the bench when mocking them up for testing I dont use TIM either...if the surfaces are close to flat you wont see but a 5c gain....thats all...

I have benched and stress tested with out TIM for 24/48 hours...I have NEVER had an issue...Intels will downclock from heat..you dont get weird colors and screwed up screens or post issues....just because when the CPU isnt under load it doesnt make much heat at all...

I have done this with testing various heatsinks...run them without TIM and the one with the best cooling wins...too much TIM is way worse than no TIM any day

I can testify to this, I actually changed a heatsink on an old celeron and did not have any thermal paste so I just cleaned it off very good and stuck it on, it worked fine until I was able to get some and put on it...

I hope I wasn't misleading with my prior posts. I chose my words very carefully...

What happens when a user tries it with a processor / heatsink does not provide good contact? I'm sure you've seen pictures of horribly concave or convex surfaces...

What happens when a user tries it with a processor / heatsink does not provide good contact? I'm sure you've seen pictures of horribly concave or convex surfaces...

Heatspreaders make this less of an issue than it used to be (though obviously flatter is better). A naked core with a horribly uneven heatsink would probably die a pretty quick death. :P

What mobo is it? And what exactly is the pattern of beeps? I agree with what was said earlier, pull out everything and test... basically rebuild your system and test that it works every step of the way. Mobo + cpu + heatsink + ram + video + power at first, with a total reset of the CMOS*. If you get beeps, then obviously one of those is busted, in which case you'll need to either find out how to interpret the beeps (should be in your mobo manual, I'll try and look it up also if you tell us the mobo model), or beg/borrow replacement parts and try them out one at a time- video then RAM, and if you're still broken, then you know its either the CPU or mobo itself. Find a friends computer and try out as many different combos as you can until you know the problem, then either fix it or buy a replacement.

*CMOS: Resetting your CMOS is the same as choosing the option "Restore Factory Defaults" in your BIOS. Nothing will break at all.