Can I Do This?

mikozee

Okay I'm not a computer guru so please lay off the criticisms.

I'm planning on getting this laptop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16834101166

After that, I'm going to upgrade the CPU to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819111006

And upgrade the harddrive to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136314

The thing I'm wondering about is if it's possible. The worst case scenario I'm afraid of is buying a $600 CPU only to find out that it doesn't fit or work properly with my laptop.

Also, for the gamers, is a GeForce 98000M GTS strong enough to last some of the next-gen games? I know it's currently strong enough to support almost anything, but will it be able to support games that will come out say 2010?

Assuming the socket and FSB on the motherboard are the same for the processors, you can upgrade the CPU. The HDD can also be upgraded if its the same size and interface. However, doing this would waste a large amount of money, I would rather suggest something like this.... http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

I've never swapped a laptop processor, so I don't know about that part. But assuming that's even possible, you should really look into what it takes to disassemble a laptop. Swapping memory and hard drives is usually fairly easy, but I would imagine that swapping a processor will require extensive deconstruction. If that's the case, it will probably be a major undertaking and given that you say you're not a "guru", I would be at least a little concerned as to whether that's something you can really do. If you get that thing all torn apart and you can't get it back together, warranty is not going to cover it.

Desktops come apart and go together like nothing. Laptops are not nearly as simple.

I've never swapped a laptop processor, so I don't know about that part. But assuming that's even possible, you should really look into what it takes to disassemble a laptop. Swapping memory and hard drives is usually fairly easy, but I would imagine that swapping a processor will require extensive deconstruction. If that's the case, it will probably be a major undertaking and given that you say you're not a "guru", I would be at least a little concerned as to whether that's something you can really do. If you get that thing all torn apart and you can't get it back together, warranty is not going to cover it.

Desktops come apart and go together like nothing. Laptops are not nearly as simple.

:withstupid:

I had to replace a heatsink on my T40...nothing short of a 2 hour nightmare with torx screws and basically was a royal pain, despite being mechanically competent.

Do you need the mobility? Desktops are FAR more reliable and easier to work with.

If you do get a laptop and plan on keeping it for a while, get a 3 year factory warranty. You wouldn't believe how nice those are (you just hope that everything that breaks does it before it's up).

As to whether the GPU will last you, you cannot predict these things. I've managed with older hardware, but some hefty upgrades were required for newer games (again, easier with a desktop). There are some [current] games that my computer can't really handle...

Eh my Dell e1705 was a breeze to disassemble. Just a bunch of screws and cables.

But if you're buying a new laptop just to upgrade it right away then that just seems like a waste. I'd also reccomend getting a DIY laptop. Also as mentioned that hdd is not an upgrade...except for size...but going from 7200 to 5400 rpm's is really not a good idea. I also wouldn't pay $560 for 0.54 ghz increase =/