Coming Up Next On The "change We Can Believe In" Show

LoArmistead

It's about time we got what we voted for!

Good day. :thumbs-up:

Collecting online sales taxes is not as simple as it might sound. A nationwide Internet business faces thousands of tax-collecting jurisdictions

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize that you're supposed to report all internet purchases anyway, right?

And of course we all do. So I take it you are looking forward to this as much as I am?

I even went as far as to report the $7 in interest my CDs earned over the past few months.

And of course we all reported workplace gifts over $25, right? It's the patriotic, American thing to do.

And of course we all do. So I take it you are looking forward to this as much as I am?

I even went as far as to report the $7 in interest my CDs earned over the past few months.

And of course we all reported workplace gifts over $25, right? It's the patriotic, American thing to do.

So it's perfectly ok to not follow the laws with disagree with or find too inconvenient?

And considering that internet sales taxes haven't destroyed the internet economy in states where businesses operate, I don't see the problem?

The problem is that lawmakers love to pass things like this and put the onus back on the business owner to pay for it. Do you have any idea of how many different taxing entities there are. The big online shops can afford the software systems to handle it - but the costs will be passed on to the consumers. States aren't going to pony up any money to help pay to collect taxes. Then there are all the little web sites. How do you expect them to be able to collect all the proper taxes and then remit them to 54+ different governments (I'll leave it up to you to figure out how I arrived at that number). Every state has its sales tax rate and then there are the add-on rates for counties and cities within each state. All of those taxes have to be accounted for and remitted on different schedules to each taxing authority. And the cost of that has to be born by the seller. Maybe the states should have to pay a collection fee.

Various world governments (most notably the US) has been trying to tax internet purchases for over a decade. Hell, they've even put considerable thought into the virtually impossible notion of taxing e-mail.

The best part about buying online (aside from the joys of credit card fraud) is cheaper stuff and very little taxes. Take those benefits away and I'll just hit a local shop instead.

Nemo's got a point, as soon as you make it harder for smaller businesses to operate online, there goes the competition. I'm sure amazon won't mind, though.

Edited by Doc[WSU]

I was unaware that the internet was tax free :D

I have no problem with taxation as long as it's going to the right things. A country needs taxes in order to make any money. I don't even mind if some of the money goes to wars, what bothers me the most is the money that get's put into wellfare. If I'm going to work hard for my money why should it be taken away from me so some lazy a$$ can just drive a few blocks and pick up a check. If you have some illness that keeps you from working then by all means you deserve a way to make a living but the people who just don't care bother the hell out of me. I don't like Obama's thing either. Why should the people earning more money have to pay more. The only reason they are earning more is because they worked harder for it. I would never expect that anyone owes me money just because I am less fortunate then others. A lot of families that earn $250,000 a year and more have multiple children, This means they need a bigger house, and must by food. In some cases a family that earns more then a quarter million can end up with less then a family that earns $80grand a year. If your going to work your A$$ off for your money it should be your money.

I report all such things on my taxes. Perhaps I'm more honest than some but I can't imagine faking my tax returns for the sake of a few bucks.

Nemo makes a really good point. It's not that they have to collect them, it's how. It'll really hurt small businesses. (The people Obama vows to protect, btw.) They don't have the resources to handle all that paperwork and accounting.