Amd Phenom Ii

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is kinda off-topic, but is Intel bringing out new 775 Cpu's? If so what are they comparible to in the 775 series?

The Phenom II's are comparable with the Q9X50 chips. They're very slightly below the Q9650 in synthetic benchmarks, but the Phenom II really excels at high res gaming, passing the Q9650 in most games and coming close, even beating, the i7 in some games.

The PII is a very nice chip for the money, very nice. My PII rig is a joy to play with and coupled with a 790 board and 4K series card it makes for a great gaming machine that didn't cost near as much as the i7. I have no bias for either company (other than SUN :)) but AMD will gain some players back with these chips.

Just wait until the AM3 PII hits the market, I promise they'll be worth the wait. The ability to support both DDR2 and DDR3 memory will just add to the icing on the cake and make upgrading a little easier on the wallet.

The Phenom II's are comparable with the Q9X50 chips. They're very slightly below the Q9650 in synthetic benchmarks, but the Phenom II really excels at high res gaming, passing the Q9650 in most games and coming close, even beating, the i7 in some games.

That, and highly threaded apps run *much* better on the Phenom 2 and Core i7 than on any of the bastardized Core 2 Quads. :lol:

There will be more 775 cpus released later this month.

Yeah, energy efficient ones. These are for mainstream users and companies, not enthusiasts and gamers. There are no true new 775s coming. Just energy efficient quads.

So you're saying that an i7 is even a bigger waste of money then the Phenom II? In the graphs you listed, the i7 is matched by the Phenom II in most games, but beats it marginally in two benchs. i7 cost twice as much as a Phenom II, so the conclusion to be drawn is the i7 and Phenom II is a waste of money and everyone should stick with the C2D EXXXX/C2D QXXXX tecnnology.

If you're building on a budget, then yes. Ofc the newer technology is gonna be more expensive. Whether it's a "waste of money" or not depends on what you're willing to spend for the few extra frames per second.

If you're building on a budget, then yes. Ofc the newer technology is gonna be more expensive. Whether it's a "waste of money" or not depends on what you're willing to spend for the few extra frames per second.

Not sure where it costs twice as much for an I7, the Core i7 920 is around 3 bennies and is probably more than you will need for whatever applications you run.

The cost of the DDR3 is where it starts to hurt a bit.

Plus the motherboard. All thats available for them now I believe is the X58. The total cost for a nice I7 system will go down once the P55/58 or w/e it will be called comes out.