Windows Xp > Vista Shortcut Incompatabilities? *update*

GaiusMaxwell

Ok so basically, tomorrow i am changing my current motherboard to the one in my sig and also adding a new harddrive (which will be my primary with the OS)

I really hate reinstalling all my games and apps because i have so many, usually i just make shortcuts to the game or app on the new HDD but this time around i was thinking about upgrading to vista

So basically what i am asking is, if i were to link, say, Counterstrike source from my current hdd (which is windows xp) to the new one (windows vista) would it work? or would it have an incompatability error of some sort?

Edited by Whatislove

Windows Vista is so 2008, Windows 7 is the new thing.

lol i dont wanna use a beta OS, i just want to upgrade to a 64 bit OS

Would i have my original problem with either vista 64bit or XP 64bit?

Don't get XP64. Driver support is very lacking even still. Vista64 on the other hand is pretty nice.

@Kuronin: never use a torrented OS as your main OS...especially one thats not released offically.

as for the shortcut thing, not sure if it will work for all of your programs. I'd just start fresh anyways.

Edited by Raiderfan001

Don't get XP64. Driver support is very lacking even still. Vista64 on the other hand is pretty nice.

@Kuronin: never use a torrented OS as your main OS...especially one thats not released offically.

as for the shortcut thing, not sure if it will work for all of your programs. I'd just start fresh anyways.

well thanks for that advice but i still kind of need my real question answered, will i be able to shortcut games like WoW, WC3, guitar hero 3, CSS, TF2 etc from a windows xp 32bit hdd to a vista 64bit?

How could you possibly go wrong with Windows 7, it's just awesome. It's fast and has nice features, and it's free. What more could you possibly ask for. I also have not seen tremendous performance increases in 64 bit OS as opposed to 32 bit.

How could you possibly go wrong with Windows 7, it's just awesome. It's fast and has nice features, and it's free. What more could you possibly ask for. I also have not seen tremendous performance increases in 64 bit OS as opposed to 32 bit.

As already stated, i will not use a free, torrented, BETA, uncomplete OS as my main OS

I want to move to 64bit for DX10 and being able to use all of my RAM instead of just 3.5gig

you are also not really contributing to this thread at all - please do not post again unless you have an answer to my original question and not something about a leaked beta OS, thankyou

It's not free, it's pirated. Just hope whoever you downloaded it from didn't hide a few surprises in there for you. And 7 isn't even that different from Vista. I bet you would say the same things about Windows Mojave. =/

If it's the same thing, then why not just get it for free instead of paying quite a bit for Vista?

And seriously, who cares if it has viruses? I have run Windows Xp professional 32+64 bit in several stripped variants, Windows xp home edition, Windows vista 32 and 64 bit editions, sabayon, fedora, ubuntu, madriva, and windows 7. And my favorite by far has been windows 7.

I have been using it for two weeks now, and I have had no problems whatsoever.

And when everyone was screaming "Vista sucks!" I was saying "Not really"

you are also not really contributing to this thread at all - please do not post again unless you have an answer to my original question and not something about a leaked beta OS, thankyou

you arent quite getting this are you kuro? ill just relink it so you get the idea

i also dont think OCC condones usage of pirated torrent software ;)

guys if you want to talk windows7 please keep it in another thread or PM each other.

OP: I think you will have to re-install anyways due to vista not having the registry keys or something installed.

guys if you want to talk windows7 please keep it in another thread or PM each other.

OP: I think you will have to re-install anyways due to vista not having the registry keys or something installed.

thanks ned, i thought the same thing

I might just try my idea first, if worse comes to worst i still have a copy of XP here and i can always reformat both discs if worse comes to the absolute worst lol