Occ Wants You To Join Our Folding@home Team!

Nemo

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can install Linux on a virtual machine if that is what you meant. That is what a lot of people do for folding. VMWare has a free version so you could use that. It's easier than dual booting and you'll still be able to use your Windows install. As far as folding on a Live CD, I'm not sure if that would work.

I've noticed the Q6600 is now putting out more than double the PPD.

Cheeseman is right on the money here, you can run a virtual Linux Machine in VMWare and use that for folding with the Linux SMP client. If you have a Quad Core CPU, you want to run two virtual machines both with Linux (I always used Ubuntu 64-bit) as one VMWare machine can only use 2 cores. It's dead easy to set up, you just follow the guide in the pinned thread here in the OCC Teams section :)

Another update for you guys.

Expect the contest to start somewhere around the 15th of Feb.

Prizes are starting to come in right now we are up to 9 prizes.

Here is the companies that are in so far I will update as they come in.

NZXT

Inwin

OCC

Awesome, nice BOSCO.

Thanks Cheezman and Kingding I'll search for that guide.

LOL, he needs to fold more then I wont be running over him... :lol:

Steamroller.gif

Fold more??? No normal person can keep up with you. I mean, you must have like 20+ rigs running... What are the stats for you now? And how's that electric bill working for you?

Fold more??? No normal person can keep up with you. I mean, you must have like 20+ rigs running... What are the stats for you now? And how's that electric bill working for you?

I dont know I was running around 108,000 a day but I switched a couple rigs to WCG yesterday. The light bill was 465 this last month, I will have to turn some rigs off come summer time, actually I may be selling some of the Q6600s to build i7 rigs soon...

The thing is...I want to participate, but I've never folded before. My PC Specs are in my sig, and I also have access to a laptop with a ATI X1300 and an Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz. Would these be acceptable for folding?

Go for it, i dont know if you can run the GPU client but you can run the normal single core tray version on your Rig (really easy setup) and the smp client on your laptop, (smp is a bit more complicated but there is good guides about)