HoboBen

Free/cheap Dvd Ripping

Just got an xbox. Have successfully been able to link to my pc and play music.. Ideally I would like burn all my movies to my pc to be able to watch on the xbox. What is a good free/cheap program to use for this? I have Nero Express, but that just seems to give me the codes I need to be able to play DVD's (as I couldn't in wmp before intalling). But I don't see a way to copy dvd's w/ it. I don't object to purchasing something, but free is always good . :)

Just got an xbox. Have successfully been able to link to my pc and play music.. Ideally I would like burn all my movies to my pc to be able to watch on the xbox. What is a good free/cheap program to use for this? I have Nero Express, but that just seems to give me the codes I need to be able to play DVD's (as I couldn't in wmp before intalling). But I don't see a way to copy dvd's w/ it. I don't object to purchasing something, but free is always good . :)

buy anydvd

Have successfully been able to link to my pc and play music.

If you already have the xbox360 networked, you could stream video to the xbox360 using TVersity

You will also be able to play Divx/Xvid, MPEG4, H.264, Matroska and many other file formats.

This way, you could rip to mkv* (matroska) files using x264 for the video and DTS/AC3/AAC for the audio and have a dvd jukebox of sorts on your harddrive, that the xbox could access... no need to burn or mess about with burning DVDs :)

* This allows the highest quality video, audio, and additional features like chapters, multiple audio streams (e.g. languages)

Here are several guides for DVD to H.264 conversion, all/most using free tools

Check out Handbrake for ripping/encoding/transcoding. There are a lot of tutorials if you google it.

I second the TVersity option and 264 encoding... can't beat it!

Thanks for your help guys. Got TVersity working. Seems pretty cool. Downloaded Handbrake and tried to copy a dvd without looking at any instructions and have failed miserabley. It said it would take baout 8 hours to copy, and didn't seem to make any progress after an hour.. Will have to start reading instructions.

Thanks for your help guys. Got TVersity working. Seems pretty cool. Downloaded Handbrake and tried to copy a dvd without looking at any instructions and have failed miserabley. It said it would take baout 8 hours to copy, and didn't seem to make any progress after an hour.. Will have to start reading instructions.

Ok, I have started to read the multitude of information on Handbrake. I am I correct in thinking I will need something like AnyDVD and handbrake to get things to tversity? Or should handbrake alone be enough, and I just need to read more?

Ok, I have started to read the multitude of information on Handbrake. I am I correct in thinking I will need something like AnyDVD and handbrake to get things to tversity? Or should handbrake alone be enough, and I just need to read more?

I think Handbrake needs VLC installed for dvd Ripping i think, but thats all it needs. There is settings for the Xbox in handbrake and is really good quality,

I use it to convert the tv shows recorded by my tv card and play them from a usb key on my xbox, I need to do this b/c i have a poor wireless reception for media streaming, and havent got around to putting a cable down to the xbox

You probably will need AnyDVD or an alternative.

If you need to, you can Grab DVD43, which is a free utility like AnyDVD.

MaximumPC's guide is a good starter: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/...4enabled_player

Anyone used both before, or can recommend one over the other.. If anydvd is alot easier to use, I'll buy it.

1. Rip DVD to harddrive using DVDDecrypter (or AnyDVD for Sony protected DVDs)

2. Use AutoGK to convert to .avi (Xvid video, mp3 audio)

try this method first... just to get it working... then you can move onto using other encoding tools like MeGUI and other codecs like x264 and AAC

1. Rip DVD to harddrive using DVDDecrypter (or AnyDVD for Sony protected DVDs)

2. Use AutoGK to convert to .avi (Xvid video, mp3 audio)

try this method first... just to get it working... then you can move onto using other encoding tools like MeGUI and other codecs like x264 and AAC

Thanks, I think I will try this. I have been trying Handbrake and dvd43, to no avail. I get to about 50% and than it just stops, the fps go to around 1. I may try one more time with a different disc in case the disc is unreadable at that point, but I am usually pretty good about keeping things clean/scratch free.