Lol.

tkrow21

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to become reality, the market won't accept it. MS won't force it on the market, look at how many times they've extended the deadline on XP because of consumer pressure.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this to become reality, the market won't accept it. MS won't force it on the market, look at how many times they've extended the deadline on XP because of consumer pressure.

:withstupid:

And for those talking about Linux, yeah it could be the solution to software monitoring, but they also mentionned that it could be a new physical chip, let's say on the motherboard, monitoring this activity.

And what if GM implements the same thing with cars? Gasoline would be like the electricity bill, and the more horsepower your car has got, the bigger the new bill at the end of each month. :) That's stupid. <_<. It's like double-billing.

Edited by The Smith

And what if GM implements the same thing with cars? Gasoline would be like the electricity bill, and the more horsepower your car has got, the bigger the new bill at the end of each month. :) That's stupid. <_< . It's like double-billing.

Already being done. Several insurers have done pay-as-you-drive insurance, and our government is/was considering doing the same for road tax. It'll never happen though.

As for computing - I, for one, welcome our new pay-as-you-go overlords

They're not saying all computers would be that way... they're patenting an idea similar to 'pay as you go insurance'. You'd still have the choice to buy your own rig, or to sign up for the service and pay as you go.

It wouldn't be double billing at all... I think the point was that you basically rent a computer, and only pay for the computing power you use... It'd be great for Mr. and Mrs Computer Illiterate next door that knock on your door every weekend needing their PC fixed... with a rental unit like that, they'd have to take it back to the man (M$).

It is another one of these "broad terms" patents that everyone's getting sued over lately where some obscure company threw a bunch of terms in a patent application 15 years ago, got it, then waited for someone to bite... it's patent fishing... new sport!

They can start this kind of service all they want... I'll still buy my own rig though, thanks.

p.s. Could you imagine you bill if you folded on one of those things.... new prank... install F@H on your friends rental PC and watch them cry when their monthly bill comes in... :smack::ph34r::lol:

I think it would be a very slippery slope to give someone that much control over peoples computers, especially considering the personal records, finances and other things people have on their own PC's. I don't see this becoming a reality very soon, if at all...