Sign in to follow this  
martian_aphid

Matching Ram

I put together a new rig over the summer and kept it fairly minimal in some respects knowing that there would be opportunity to add to it at a later date. Well, since then the machine has been used for some fairly heavy photoshop/illustrator tasks and the initial 4gb of ram I stuck in has has often gone over 80% usage whilst under heavy usage. Probably the main problem is the memory hog that is vista-64 but that's another issue.

Anyhow since ram is fairly cheap atm whilst everything else seems to be going up in price I was thinking about potentially getting another 2 sticks. Unfortunately, the ram I originally got is now nowehere to be found:

G.Skill PQ PC26400 2x2gb

http://newgskill.web-bi.net/bbs/view.php?i...c=asc&no=95

I chose this for several reasons; compatability with my motherboard, low voltage [1.8-1.9v] and no crazy heatsinks so I could add a couple of extra dimms in when needed.

Now since I can't find this stuff anywhere is it safe to start mixing my rams up? Should I be looking for something with the same chips and same voltage setting?

BTW I'm in the UK and have checked most e-tailers I know without luck [i know newegg has this in stock :S]

Any advice is greatly appreciated + Happy New Year everyone @ OCC!

i ask someone about mixing this ram... if both pair of the ram voltage and timing the same [not include the speed, 800 and 667 also can mix]... it will be okay... can u take a screen shots of your ram specs at cpuz? take screenshot under memory and SPD.... thanks

Edited by abid

Hey abid, thanks for the response. I'm at home for a few days so I can't give you a cpuz ss atm but I remember that primary timings were 5,5,5,15 on the g.skill.

I've spotted this corsair stuff which has the same voltage rating but slightly different timings [5,5,5,18]

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct....TwinX%20(2x2GB)

I'll get a cpuz ss as soon as possible.

yes u can use that ram..... but find a 5-5-5-15/16/17/18 and 1.8-1.9v ram

If it were me and my motherboard can support more RAM and I am sure that there is no other place I can find another matched set of that G.Skill you have,

I would stick with G.Skill and find a matched set that runs around the same voltage and speed.

I would stay away from mixing up brands, even though there are only a few chip manufacturers.

Good luck.

Edited by Kingfisher

hmm... but it will set all the four ram to the same speed and voltage and timings..... coz the mobo default it... right?

Even if the specifications are the same or very similar due to the chips being different they may not work together. Sometimes there are more timings that you have no control over and the memory controller may force one set to run at something which it cannot do.

Here you go. (bit expensive)

http://www.memoryc.co.uk/products/descript..._kit/index.html

Or buy 2 sets of these and sell your current kit on ebay.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146049

Edited by Sharp

I have a questions, I just got 2GB of 1066 DDR2, can I pair that with 2GB of 800 DDR2, and have the 1066 and 800 run at native speeds?

Thanks a lot for the info guys, from what it seems you've confirmed my suspicions that matching some ram might be a bit of a hit and miss scenario.

I hadn't come across that site Sharp and it is an option but as you say a bit more than I was expecting to pay - the first set was

Edited by martian_aphid

I have a questions, I just got 2GB of 1066 DDR2, can I pair that with 2GB of 800 DDR2, and have the 1066 and 800 run at native speeds?

It will downclock the ddr 1066 to ddr 800. Any overclock past 800 will be limited by the lowest clocking stick.