gustie

Bad Setting Make My Rig Unstable?

i have done a few photo's of my bios in hope some people can point out any BAD settings that could be causing my board to freeze out and sometimes BSOD......

my pc is doing me nut in lol

BIOS_1.jpg

BIOS_2.jpg

BIOS_3.jpg

BIOS_4.jpg

BIOS_5.jpg

BIOS_6_genie.jpg

im hoping its something SILLY that i have over looked - im not sure what 3T is in the RAM timings for one....

i have no idea on AGP latency (my FX5700 has 256m memory..)

3T is the command rate which i dont what is it... and why is your cpu voltage too high.. what processor are u using?

3T is the command rate which i dont what is it... and why is your cpu voltage too high.. what processor are u using?

Hi

SIG updated.....

what voltage should i be running??

owh AMD... T_T sorry im an intel like guy... wait for pro to reply..

but i solve the BSOD by changing the motherboard and format my computer...

but i solve the BSOD by changing the motherboard and format my computer...

ha - id like a Q6600 rig too but have to make do with what i have got for a while :(

Hello,

I take it the PC has been working fine with the current settings in the past?

With old age comes instability so that might be why however lets not consider that yet.

What have you done so far in order to try and resolve the issue?

EG, Load optimised defaults.

If you look at the motherboard, are any of the capacitors starting to bulge/pop?

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

Have you tried running memtest for a few hours?

http://www.memtest.org/download/2.11/memtest86+-2.11.iso.zip

:: Download, extract files to a folder.

:: Burn ISO to CD.

:: Boot from CD and let the program run for ~3hours.

Any errors will be in the form of a red line (lots of red lines)

If you don't pass memtest, try these:

You might want to check / change your memory voltage (2.65 or 2.7, perhaps)...maybe bump up your chipset voltage. If nothing gets you stable (try prime95, as well), I'd try another power supply, the older they get, the more they can act up.

...some people don't know to not post in areas that they don't have any expertise in... :rolleyes:

cpu interface aggressive..........can you change that to like normal?

HI

thanks for the replys

it was stable for years but i changed summt i think and forgot what it was! lol

as for caps - i dropped this thread on badcaps

http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6328

the caps are teapo and are know to be not that great... although they are all intact except one little teeny one infront of the AGP slot - it hasnt blown or buldged but isnt seated flush on the motherboard.

i changed the bios and all the ram timings display differently and im not sure what the 3T bit is! maybe command rate? i need to learn more! i thought 1T would be best for my rig but aint sure if that 3T setting is actually command rate or CAS - quite confusing.

CPU - normal - i could drop it to this to see if it runs stable i guess....

as for MEMTEST32 aint run it for years but it passed once lol - maybe it will fail now - worth a re-test , thanks for the reminder

i lapped the HS's back then on the CPU and NB and arctic5'd them back then too - i used PRIME 95 to burn it in and i got it to pass torture tests... again i could run this and see how it fairs up.

i have wondered if it is worth trying to get some PC4000 and ditch the PC3200 to see if that helps also.

i learnt a bit about this board a few years ago - but my memory isnt the best lol and alot of info i used was on the "street" and vanished :(

is there any other settings that look out of place on the bios?

should the AGP latency match the amount of memory on the card? mines 256m so should the latency be 256??

tCL = CAS Latency. (3-3-3-8)

No point going for PC4000 as it will just downclock it to PC3200 unless you overclock your FSB to 250Mhz.

However if you wish to try some low latency DDR memory go for something with timings of 2-2-2-X @400Mhz DDR.

The AGP latency is not linked to the card's video memory.

The only things that look out of place are the Expert & Aggressive settings.

tCL = CAS Latency. (3-3-3-8)

No point going for PC4000 as it will just downclock it to PC3200 unless you overclock your FSB to 250Mhz.

However if you wish to try some low latency DDR memory go for something with timings of 2-2-2-X @400Mhz DDR.

The AGP latency is not linked to the card's video memory.

The only things that look out of place are the Expert & Aggressive settings.

thanks

so theres 2 things to try straight away....

AGP latency i will lower... maybe 64???

and tCL is set on 3T?? these boards like 2 or 2.5 so kitkit tells me ;) ill see if i can alter that too

THIS is where im confused why does it have 3T there?!? i thought it should have 3!

i thought T was to do with command rate (out of my depth here) lol

The CAS latency is dependant on your memory, as you listed 3-3-3-8 in your sig you can only set it to 3. (2.5 might work)

As to why is says 3T, I can only assume that DFI programmed the BIOS like this.

If it was the command rate is would say Command Rate and options would only be 1T or 2T.

Your aggressive/expert settings might be what determines the command rate.

The AGP latency setting is something that you need to play around with and use something like 3Dmark to find out which setting gives the best results.

To low might not be enough time and to high can cause a decrease in performance, but this setting will not cause instability.