Lag And Freezing Issues, P4 1.7ghz

tr3ys

I have a Compaq Presario 5330US (forgive me!). Its stock except for the video card and the RAM.

Specs are as follows:

Pentium 4, 1.7 Ghz (not overclocked in any way)

1GB Ram

Radeon 9600 SE

Windows XP

My problem is this very persistant and apparent lag and freezing. It happens only when I am using a CPU and Memory intense application. When I am just doing normal internet browsing or IMing everything runs smooth, but the moment I open up some type of program (Everquest, Counterstrike, Photoshop; to name a few) the lag begins.

It doesnt happen at first, but after a few minutes it starts. Everything will freeze up for about 5 seconds, sound will continue in the background, but the cursor movement and any video just freezes. It returns to normal after those 5 seconds, but the cycle continues every few minutes indefinatly.. It very much ruins any game I'm playing, or any work im doing.

I have a hunch that its a CPU problem. I tried switching out my Radeon 9600SE for an older Geforce2 MX, but the problem continued. I've opened my case at this point, and have noticed that my heat sink gets very very hot, and the CPU fan has a lot of dust in it and doesnt feel like its blowing out a lot of hot air. Is this a common symptom of overheating?

This is my first encounter with any problem of this nature, so any input/advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.

It sounds like it is most likely heat related problems. I would go to the store and buy some canned air and use that to give your computer a good cleaning. Just make sure that you don't do it in the house otherwise your house will be pretty dusty afterwards. Another thing. When using canned air make sure that you keep the can upright at all times when cleaning your computer. Otherwise it will spray this cold all over you components. You won't have to worry about that as long as you keep the can upright when using it. I hope this helps.

i agree you need to clean the dust off. To clean the fan i would soak it in water (yes water) and make sure it drys. To clean the rest a shockvac or any vaccum with a hose. If you cant use a vaccum and don't like the water idea use an air compressor works 100% better but canned air is okay. If problems still come up tell compaq to fix it. Or you could take off the heatsink use it as a space heater and build a new hardcore gaming rig. :P

i agree you need to clean the dust off. To clean the fan i would soak it in water (yes water) and make sure it drys. To clean the rest a shockvac or any vaccum with a hose. If you cant use a vaccum and don't like the water idea use an air compressor works 100% better but canned air is okay. If problems still come up tell compaq to fix it. Or you could take off the heatsink use it as a space heater and build a new hardcore gaming rig. :P

then you have to take apart and sand the rust layer off of the motor. (the part that looks like stacked metal) and not to mention the barings arent sealed if it uses barings, and it might rust the shaft so that it spins slower than when it was new.....i used 3 80mm Tt smart fans at full speed to propel a boat that i made out of bulsa wood, they got wet because it tipped and it rusted the stuff.

i wouldnt recommend that. just spray it will canned air.

CompaQ arent made for gaming they're mostly internet machines but it would help cleaning the whole thing and you can try running only your game when gaming, i mean close all the programs in your lower right bar, you could try also to clean all spy programs in your system with this

http://security.kolla.de/news.php?lang=en

it will help run faster ;)

I'm curious if this freezing happened before you added the V/card & ram... also what settings have you, in the bios r/t memory timings etc.? <_<

But most definitely... clean that Hsf combo (preferably dismantle) ian old 'tooth brush' is excellent for that stubborn dust build up, if indeed you ended up removing the unit entirely, some new Arctic Silver5/Ceramique thermal compound would improve thermal diffusion markedly :D

Just an additional thought... is your DMA option enabled for the HDD & Optical drive(s)?