Amd Guy Needs Help In The Intel Arena

I have always been an AMD guy, I guess it is a combination of bang for the buck and underdog syndrome, however I have won an Intel motherboard from OCC so I am going to expand my horizons. The motherboard is an Asus Striker II Formula. My question is : what would be a descent processor & ram to start out with. Ihave some DDR2 800mhz on hand that would save me $ ,but should I opt for the1066? Any help is much appreciated and Happy New Year everyone

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What will it be used for?

For a Dual Core I would go with either the E8200 or E8400. If you want to spend $150-$160 on that.

Or if you want to go cheaper maybe the E7300 or E7400 which are $120 and $140.

If you want to go with quad cores, a good one is the Q6600 which is around $190.

A bit more expensive are the Q9300 and Q9400 which are $240 and $260(I think).

Yes I have heard alot of good things about the Q6600, I think thats my choice when I get the $. How bout ram . Do you think the DDR2 800 will suffice?

I think the DDR2 800 would work fine, I think 1066 would be better for a quad. I am not sure about this, so let the experts tell you the truth :)

Thats a good idea,thanks mojo. I have little exp with Intel except older P4s, I do know some of the dual core AMDs outperform my Phenom with mt current set up which was a dissapointment as I paid top dollar for the Phenom

That's because the Phenom SUCKS.

The 8600 Costs a LOT.

The E7300, E8400, and the Q6600 are all fairly good bargains. I can only hope that the my Phenom picks up once the games start to become optimized for Quad core CPUs. And maybe when WARP comes out for W7 ^^

they're still gonna suck lmao i figure here in about two years nobody's even gonna know who amd is anymore

When that happens, all Intel buying people are gona be screwed, Intel can then put the prices up as high as they want them. :angry2: