RaPiD

Ddr2 & Ddr3, What's The Difference?

Hey guys!

What's the difference between DDR2 1600 and DDR3 1066? I'm building a new rig and I'm uncertain on what MOBO to buy... (its for gaming)

Thanks

I think you've got your speeds mixed up. It's probably DDR2-1066 and DDR3-1600.

DDR3 is expensive and almost always not worth it. DDR2 isn't. That's the major difference :)

If the processor you're planning to use supports DDR2, then that's what you should buy. The extra speeds of DDR3 are a waste and way too expensive when compared to DDR2.

I won't give you a technical explanation because I'm not 100% sure on this stuff and there are lots of numbers to explain when you start getting too technical but the DDR2 1600 is just a memory stick that runs @ 1600Mhz, and is capable of running in dual channel mode while the DDR3 1066 runs @ 1066Mhz but is capable of running in triple channel mode. (or isn't it, Verron? ;)) The triple channel mode is currently only supported by (the memory controller of) the Intel i7, just like mine :D.

My advice? Go for the DDR3 Mobo (I have a ASUS P6T Deluxe and I can seriously recommend you this mobo. Read the review on OCC: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/as..._deluxe/22.htm) if you want to be ready for 'some near' future. Besides, i don't think the DDR3 Mobo supports DDR2 Memory, but you are able to put 2 sticks in instead of 3 if you're really low on budget..

Sorry Verran but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. DDR3 if you can afford it is tottally worth it, in my system with 1GB ddr3 1333mhz my app speed and load up speed are far faster than my system with 4GB ddr2 1066mhz in it. mainly because ddr3 haS A MUCH FASTER BANDWIDTH ALLOCATION AND ALTHOUGH THE cas IS LOWER THE SPEEDS MAKE UP FOR IT, HECK DO A EVEREST TEST WITH 2gb DDR2 1200MHZ AND 2gb DDR3 1200MHZ AND YOU'LL SEE DDR3 IS JUST PLAIN FASTER.

Sorry Verran but I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. DDR3 if you can afford it is tottally worth it, in my system with 1GB ddr3 1333mhz my app speed and load up speed are far faster than my system with 4GB ddr2 1066mhz in it. mainly because ddr3 haS A MUCH FASTER BANDWIDTH ALLOCATION AND ALTHOUGH THE cas IS LOWER THE SPEEDS MAKE UP FOR IT, HECK DO A EVEREST TEST WITH 2gb DDR2 1200MHZ AND 2gb DDR3 1200MHZ AND YOU'LL SEE DDR3 IS JUST PLAIN FASTER.

As convincing as your anecdotal evidence is, I still say DDR2.

I've beaten this point to death in a few threads already lately, namely this one. If running a positive divider on your memory so you can see higher numbers in the memory tab on CPU-Z makes the hundreds of extra dollars you spent on DDR3 worth it, then so be it. Me? I'll keep my money, buy DDR2 with tighter timings, and end up with the same overclock you do. Most people don't seem to understand that there's no point in clocking your memory any faster than your CPU can go. Higher DDR3 speeds just don't benefit most CPUs. I'd be more than willing to bet that whatever FSB you're running on your CPU could be matched by a DDR2 set, and if I switched it out for DDR2 you'd never know the difference.

I know you say it "feels" faster, but just like I say about expensive sound cards... for the price you paid, you're going to "feel" a difference whether it's there or not. It's called a placebo effect.

Verran is right, the performance gain is only measurable in benchies and who really cares about those.

The CPU speed trumps any memory speed increase. DDR2 is so darn cheap now it is the sensible choice.

Few 775 motherboards can support DDR3 and those that do have awful layouts and are simply a waste of money.

But hey, if that money is burning a whole in your pocket you would have a 1366 and a Core I7 so again it's a moot point.

Hey guys!

What's the difference between DDR2 1600 and DDR3 1066? I'm building a new rig and I'm uncertain on what MOBO to buy... (its for gaming)

Thanks

Sorry... Here's what I'm looking at with an Intel E8500.... (Yes, I plan to overclock...)

Mobo = GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ->$120 ($105 AMR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128359

Ram =OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227289 ->$65 ($35 AMR)

Total = $185 ($140 AMR)

Or

Mobo = GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ->$120

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128371

Ram = G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231190 ->$87

Total $207

Is it worth spending an extra $67??

I personally don't think it's worth it, especially after what Verran stated.

While the motherboard is hardly different in price, the RAM obviously is. This is not only noticed in the DDR2 and DDR3 comparisons, but also at the heat spreaders applied on both. You're probably going to be looking at some better temperature with the OCZ RAM than you are with the G.SKILL RAM, just due to the heat spreaders on each. Though I'm not sure how the temperatures would span out over a overclock.

Just save the money and purchase a higher performance component.

Edited by Ediseye

I say unless a configuration FORCES you to use DDR3 *cough cough Core I7*, then it's not really going to make much of a difference. Good DDR2 will compliment that E8500 just fine!