GRN

Partitioning Drives

I plan on having for my new rig 2 HDD containing 500GB each. I am also worried about data loss so I looked researched partitioning. I need some tips on what to divide up for the OS partition and the rest of the data. Also what to do with the other drive/ and should I run RAID. Any help is appreciated. :)

If you're concerned about data loss one option would be to create a RAID 1 array using both drives, assuming they are identical, and partition the array into one volume for the OS and another using the remainder of the drive for data.

One concern is that restoring a RAID 1 array from a drive failure using the controller on the motherboard can be problematic. Although the data is protected and can continue to function on the remaining drive, you may not be able to rebuild the array.

If you're concerned about data loss one option would be to create a RAID 1 array using both drives, assuming they are identical, and partition the array into one volume for the OS and another using the remainder of the drive for data.

One concern is that restoring a RAID 1 array from a drive failure using the controller on the motherboard can be problematic. Although the data is protected and can continue to function on the remaining drive, you may not be able to rebuild the array.

Sounds good to use RAID 1. What is type of RAID is mostly used with a 2 HDD setup?

RAID 0 and RAID 1 are the only RAID levels you can use on just two drives. Most folks who decide to use RAID will choose RAID 0 for the potential faster load times in games. If you're worried about data protection in case of a drive failure then go with RAID 1. Just remember RAID 1 is not a substitute for backing up your data.

My partition layout has been like the following for years. I don't really think there's much need [for general desktop use] for any more than a partition for Windows, and then the rest for data. Drives without Windows just don't have partitions...

Note: The Windows partition has Windows and programs installed, and that's it. Everything else (Games included) goes on other drives.

disklayoutvd1.jpg

w1014.png

So what your saying markiemrboo is to make a partition on the first drive on the OS and then the rest of the space on the remaining disk/other second disk for my data? Are you running RAID with those disks?

Yes. That's what I do, as you can see. Just because it makes formatting / reinstalling easy.

No RAID set up on my desktop though. If you wanted RAID-1, set that up that before any partitioning. It will be "seen" by Windows as a single 500GB drive (since one drive is a mirror, you'll lose half the space). Partition that in to OS and Data as normal.

Yes. That's what I do, as you can see. Just because it makes formatting / reinstalling easy.

No RAID set up on my desktop though. If you wanted RAID-1, set that up that before any partitioning. It will be "seen" by Windows as a single 500GB drive (since one drive is a mirror, you'll lose half the space). Partition that in to OS and Data as normal.

Your method was exactly what I wanted to do for simplicity. I was fogged up by all the guides creating partitions of "organization". I think it just makes it more complicated. Thanks markiemrboo.