Attach Cd Audio Cable?

tarkins

I don't. I never noticed a difference with/without it.

Probably because you guys are ALL RUNNING ON WINDOWS XP...

Prior to Win XP the sound was sent through that "sound cord" to play sound on your CD drive..

When they released Win XP, they made the OS so the sound is sent through the PCI (where the sound card is) through the mobo, out the EIDE to your CD-Roms.....thus making those cords useless...

Edited by AYoKoNA

Sorry Ayokona, but its not just XP.

The orginal idea behind the cord was to bypass the CPU because CPU's werent fast enough to do what you were doing and play a CD at the same time. (286 up to P1's and some PIIs basically)

I've never used the cord simply because any CPU can handle it these days, and I can't beleive they still include it honestly.

Sorry Ayokona, but its not just XP.

The orginal idea behind the cord was to bypass the CPU because CPU's werent fast enough to do what you were doing and play a CD at the same time. (286 up to P1's and some PIIs basically)

So why didn't the sound work on Prior Operating Systems if the CPU could handle it?

I read on MS's website that XP bypassed the cord...I've never heard sound from the CD-Rom in prior Os's?

I still use it because the lower my CPU usage is from "background" tasks (I consider multimedia to be background, because I listen while I', working), the more CPU time I can devote to what I'm working on. Or folding.

That, and I can also hit the play button on the drive without opening any programs and it'll play just fine.

you mean i don't need that crap cord???? On my a7n8x-deluxe mobo it had two spots for it, so i was able to connect them, but on my other computers, there's only one spot and i have two cdroms in each, so one of them would always be without the cord. Maybe i'll just scrap them all the next time i open 'em up. thanks.