Asus P5k Se/epu Vmod

So I was cheap and bought the P5K SE/EPU and quickly learned that the EPU circuitry that ASUS implements on many of their boards ruled out any serious overclocking. After scouring the web for days I found several other pencil and resistor mods for P5K's but none for this board specifically. I then studied my board to find similarities with the other types of layouts and discovered that a bank of resistors had been moved sideways on this board. After I shaded it in I tested it and found that I no longer had the vdroop of .05-.1V and was only experiencing a vdroop of .025V. I was also now able to hit a stable 4GHz even if I didn't like the temps that it caused. This was three months ago and since then I have had no problems with this mod and feel it is safe to share with everyone, yet I assume no responsibilty for what you do with this information and I don't want to hear how you fried your board etc... Enjoy the mod and have fun OC'ing! B:)

post-63946-1230004421_thumb.jpg

no its not a Foxconn... thats just the only box I had handy at the time :P

post-63946-1230004411_thumb.jpg

post-63946-1230004433_thumb.jpg

Edited by ocmooz

I have seen a very technical post on some other forum stating that the pencil mod can be quite dangerous and that VDroop is a safety feature that should not be tampered with, I'll see if I can find it...

edit: Alas! Google for President :lol:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...;i=3184&p=5

Edited by nasa geek

This was the kind of vdroop that caused problems without an OC and if you can't take a risk then don't do it. Better yet just don't overclock if you can't stand the risk. Like I said I have used this mod for 3 months with no ill effects. Also it can be noted that the EPU circuit kept my voltage at or below 1.2V which is lower than my VID... <_< In all I wish I hadn't gotten this board, but I'm stuck with it for now. I posted this because in my searches I found a few people who where also looking for this mod and I have recieved quite a few PMs asking what I did.

Edited by ocmooz

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

I just did the mod to mine a while ago, and vdroop is reduced to just .016V.

My E4500 is at 3.2GHz stable now with 1.424V, drooping to 1.408 on load.

Before the mod the max I could get stable at this voltage was 3GHz.

Going to try at 1.45V now, but I'll be happy with the 3.2GHz for everyday use.

Thanks again, been trying to find this mod for a while!

This was the kind of vdroop that caused problems without an OC and if you can't take a risk then don't do it. Better yet just don't overclock if you can't stand the risk. Like I said I have used this mod for 3 months with no ill effects. Also it can be noted that the EPU circuit kept my voltage at or below 1.2V which is lower than my VID... <_< In all I wish I hadn't gotten this board, but I'm stuck with it for now. I posted this because in my searches I found a few people who where also looking for this mod and I have recieved quite a few PMs asking what I did.

Fair enough.

Good to hear people appreciate this. And as an afterthought, its not so much a voltmod in the typical sense its more just shutting off the EPU because there is still some voltage regulation going on, just not to the point of silliness (i.e. dropping from 1.2V to 1.12V under a load). Thanks nasa geek for the link to that article btw; I'll keep that in mind when I do any future mods.

Edited by ocmooz

• 3 weeks later...

I did the mod, but i don't see any change in the vdroop :(

According to cpu-z, it was 1.200v idle and 1.152v load before, and exactly the same after!

Look at the pics, it seems almost the same as yours!

Before:

modbeforexo1.jpg

After:

modafterhh3.jpg

Any advice? :huh:

Thanks!

You just have to keep rubbing a little more lead on till it takes effect. Here I'll show you the right one again using your pic because it is much clearer than mine.

post-63946-1232157250_thumb.jpg

It may take quite a few passes depending on how soft the lead is. I'm sure it will work out if you keep trying. Just do a couple lines on top of it, then try it. Good luck. :thumbs-up:

BTW: It is exactly the same board except that the writing on top of the capacitor near it (that little silver can) is a different color

Edited by ocmooz

You just have to keep rubbing a little more lead on till it takes effect. Here I'll show you the right one again using your pic because it is much clearer than mine.

post-63946-1232157250_thumb.jpg

It may take quite a few passes depending on how soft the lead is. I'm sure it will work out if you keep trying. Just do a couple lines on top of it, then try it. Good luck. :thumbs-up:

BTW: It is exactly the same board except that the writing on top of the capacitor near it (that little silver can) is a different color

Thanks! I will try it again!!!