Sign in to follow this  
CoolMaster

Question About I7's

I've looked around and I like "know" about the I7's.

but....is it like meant to "replace" Socket 775? or is it just a new performance model processor. or will everything eventually be moving to that new socket?

I just ask because i've been thinking of buying a Q6600 (the popular quad core) and wondering...well if it's pointless with this new chip out?

thx!

The deal with the I7's are; well they are pretty much the future, just like how Socket 775 took over its the same thing.

That's not to say that socket 775 is pointless now since the performance of a Q6600 and an I7 is minimal in terms of gaming. But there definitely is a difference in real world applications.

Price is also a factor, buying an I7 means you have to buy a new motherboard and new ram, which are pretty pricey at the moment. It's really up to you, if you think your current setup can hold you off until you have enough money for a major overhaul, well that's your choice.

Actually you would beneift moving to an I7 since your current setup in your sig is a bit on the low end. Its all up to you.

The I7 has replaced 775. From what I have been told from the companies is everything on 775 is considered dead. Nothing new will be coming out for the 775 everyone is moving to I7.

Yes I agree with the others. Socket 1366 will eventually be taking over as Intels premier technology. Just wondering, but have any of you heard about the Core i7 mainstream desktop line to be released in the near future?

The I7 has replaced 775. From what I have been told from the companies is everything on 775 is considered dead. Nothing new will be coming out for the 775 everyone is moving to I7.

funny you mention that....

in the last edition of Maximum PC they say their inside sources say I7 wont replace 775...?

they also say that I7 is more performance geared and wont go mainstream like 775 is...

I have also read that in other rags as well...so I truly wonder where I7 is heading...?

What about laptops? i assume we'll be seeing I7's......in the near future? yes/no?

i mean they dont have quads in laptops yet. I ask because I just because a sony laptop with a t5800 processor (thats a good on i believe, core 2 duo)

but since they have't put quads in laptops im unsure if I7 will make it to laptops anytime soon.

(but the mobile core 2 duo is a different socket isn't it?)

btw im assuming I7 uses ddr3?

funny you mention that....

in the last edition of Maximum PC they say their inside sources say I7 wont replace 775...?

they also say that I7 is more performance geared and wont go mainstream like 775 is...

I have also read that in other rags as well...so I truly wonder where I7 is heading...?

what other rags? I'm interested in this info.

I think that Core i7 will be an enthusiast platform for now. I think that you should get a 45nm Intel CPU if you can, as 65nm is now becoming a dead format. The Q6600 is also being phased out next year, so I think it's best to stick with the newer 45nm technology.