Can A Really Hot Northbridge Cause Problems?

LobbDogg

I've been having a little bit of issues lately with my system. Only when playing games does the computer just reboot, or it completely freezes. The video card is running nice and cool being watercooled and the cpu temps under max load only run about 30 degrees. However I did touch the northbridge heatsink, and is was very hot. I'm wondering if maybe a fan is in order for the northbridge? Also nothing is overclocked either. Sometimes the video will reboot, and I'll still have sound playing, but the computer looks as if its rebooting. Any help would be appreciated.

yess it can cause instability quick. check and make sure those spring clips they use didnt pop off . i got the swiftech 159 northbridge cooler for my amd rig and it droped the temps on the n/b by 11c . the stock n/b coolers idle temp is now my load temp well worth the 30bucks i spent,bbut it had to remove my slk800u and use my aero7+ to fit it on there.

If the northbridge heatsink is hot to touch, I can imagine the northbridge chip is pretty dang hot. However, it is strange to experience northbridge problems with stock settings, how high is your FSB?

He just said it was stock settings...

Stock settings on the board in his sig is 200FSB.....

yea but even with stock setting your gonna get hot (not too hot though) and did you say you had a h20 cooling setup? why not extend that to the northbridge? p4 boards are the only ones that really need a h20 block for the northbridge because of the heat problems so maybe you should extend that to the nb. also, is everything at stock? if so you may not have enough intake/exhaust fans. be sure to check all that out

I may just buy a block for the northbridge. Can anybody recommend a block? I've noticed with the P4P800 Deluxe, it doesn't use the pushpins or whatever to secure the heatsink down. Its hard to explain, but it doesn't have holes in the motherboard to secure a block.

usually it says in the bios but unless mbm5 works like coke mentioned i guess u cant tell load temps.

im running stock nb cooling and the fans about to drod on it too....got to get another quick, but anyways im running stock speeds also and idle i run 35*C idle for nb temps and about 42*C load and it is warm but not hot.....i would say its not supposed to run as hot as a standard air cooler cpu though.

To give you an idea of how hot it feels, think of it this way. If you have a 9800 pro and put your finger on the back of the GPU while under load and using stock cooling for it. It is hot right?

The Northbridge feels the same way, possibly worse. It starts to hurt if I hold onto the northbridge heatsink for more than a couple seconds.