14 Drive 500 Gig Hd Install!!!

gideon123

First off ,, I am new to this site. Been navigating overclockersclub for a week now and by far one of the best out there..

I just gutted my old Xclio 380 case and bought the new NZXT Whisper.

I've checked out the gallery and havnt found an NZXT Whisper setup.. so maybe um one of the first.

My feat.. installing 14 - 500 gig HDs , 2 - LG DVD writers (lightscribe). Question is can i manage to clean up and organize the miles of wires in the NZXT Whisper case???

MY SPECS:

o/s :vista

mobo: Asus PK5-E

Q6600 Quad 2.40GHZ 1066FSB 8MB

video: Asus 8600 GT , 512meg

ram: ddr2 - 800

raid: 2 - Raid 5 cards (pci)

Swappable 5.25 Removable bay for 3.5 SATA HDD (5)

cooling : Asus V60 cpu heatsink (will be replaced with liquid cooling asap)

psu: dream power 600 w

Here are my initial pics of the inside.. i know it looks terrible.. but this is the first step of the install just to make sure everything is running fine b4 i start using heaps of zip ties on the wiring.

Can anyone reccomend what kind of cooling system i should use. The case is now full and there is now space left for the pump and resevoir... so its all gonna have to be external. I want to cool the cpu, video card and ram.

My budget is around 400.00 USD

Any suggestions???

btw - Yes that a 32 ' samsung lcd i am using as my monitor.

post-65474-1229892088_thumb.jpg

post-65474-1229892100_thumb.jpg

post-65474-1229892109_thumb.jpg

Edited by gideon123

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That my friend is a mess. Good luck with it. I think the power supply wiring will be the major task.

Yes your right.. wish i could find some high end wiring .. like super thin sata and power cables.. anyone know where i can find them.. or do they exist?

my concern now is whether that case can cool down those 14 hard drives, not too mention the other parts.. I'll need some good mods for this one i think..

hmm.. what do to. i am on vacation now, so i've got lots of time to figure this one out.

i really like the Koolance Exos 2.5 but from what i've read its got bad reviews.. great external cooling kit cosmetically but i need to cool off this box. so um open for suggestions on how to do this properly.

cheers

What the fack...

Yeah tell me about it.. 14 just turned into 15 hard drives.. 7.5 TB.. i'll stop at 10TB once i get there.. lol

Cooling down all of them to respectable temps is my goal and cleaning up that mess.. its only day 1 on this build and i cant count how many coffee thus far. um working on it.. lol

WOW

Did you get a bunch of cheap 500GB drives?

:blink:

No, i usually buy one every couple of months. I live in Korea (canadian). Hardware over here is pretty cheap.

Although anyone looking for 500 sata2 , 16cache drives u can find a great deal on ncix.com . There are selling those drives for 46 bucks each.. limit 2 per person.

As for hardware in korea.. well lets just say their electronics market for new and used stuff is NUTS.. its a bad place for me to be in. i have a hard time leaving with money in my pocket when um there.

cheers

yeah whats up with the 2 raid5s? are you doing some network storage?

yes i am.. problem is um always running out of space. can't wait to move into my new place next month. i can dedicate 2 rooms for computing. trust me i'll need the space.

more or less a hobby. i like to backup all of my HD 1080p movies

My second system is a core 2 duo with all the basics for running HD rips which is connected through HDMI to my samsung 46' HD LCD TV. I enjoy a rather large library of movie, tv shows ect.. Its not like i can turn on the cable tv in korea and find a decent english channel. so more or less my sanctuary for entertainment.

yes i am.. problem is um always running out of space. can't wait to move into my new place next month. i can dedicate 2 rooms for computing. trust me i'll need the space.

more or less a hobby. i like to backup all of my HD 1080p movies

My second system is a core 2 duo with all the basics for running HD rips which is connected through HDMI to my samsung 46' HD LCD TV. I enjoy a rather large library of movie, tv shows ect.. Its not like i can turn on the cable tv in korea and find a decent english channel. so more or less my sanctuary for entertainment.

:blush: