High Pitched Squeeling Noise

I have had this high-pitched squeeling noise in my computer for quite a while (3-4 months now). I can not for the life of me find where it is, but I think it is in the lower half of my computer (vid card, PSU, HDDs, and a few fans are down there). Now the odd thing is that this only happens on certain games (crysis being one of them, guild wars some-what) and has no 'rythem' to it - sometimes on dark screens, sometimes light, sometimes GPU intensive, sometimes not. The loudest time I hear it is with the crysis intro logo's (EA, crytek, nVidia, Intel, and their copyright notice video's). in Guild Wars, I will sometimes run the game in windowed mode and look up the quest on the internet at the same time, switching back and forth. If and when I can get the noise to appear, it will continue even if the game is in the background, but stops if the game is minimized.

Anyone have ANY idea as to what this might be?

note: I switched GPUs from an 8800GTS about 3 weeks ago, happened w/ the 8800 and is happening with the 280.

Edited by Snugg

well a sign of a bad harddrive is squeeling sounds, i had to RMA 2 drives because of that. to see if it is a drive, run a error scan with "HD Tune Pro" if you can.

edit: that really sounds like a bad hard drive, i hope you have warrenty.

Yes, my main HD's are new enough to still be under warranty, but I think the noise is further back in the case. I am going to try and remove the PSU from the case and start up crysis so I can tell whether it or the GPU is making the noise (right now they are only an inch apart from each other).

-I am also going to run the error scan on my HD's see if they all pass.

Edited by Snugg

Squealing hard drives are due to bad bearings and that's about it, what sector you're accessing has little to do with it.

Snugg - I've had a few boards and video cards that would scream under load. They all ran happily for years on end, I'm not sure exactly what causes it. I've heard people pin it on screaming inductors, but even after replacing/hot gluing them mine still screamed.

Unless its obnoxiously loud I wouldn't worry too much about it.

my ocz power supply unit (stealthxstreme i think it's spelled) was making a high pitched screaming type noise...perhaps it still does, but i don't even notice it anymore.

i'm not sure about other components making that sort of noise, i have no experience with it...but if it's merely the psu and if you can diagnose it, it's probably nothing to worry about.

my 8800GT makes a really high pitched sound in my headphones when it is running upwards of 100fps (in older games like Halo, GTA VC, and the like.)

but you said yours was making the sound directly out of the case... so I don't know if the problems are related or not...