AeroCmdr

Diagnosing A Bad Drive

It seems like one of my drives is slowly going bad but I have no idea which one it is. I hear clicking randomly although I'm not 100% sure it is one of the hard drives.

I have had a few freeze ups since the clicking started but it hasn't been too frequent. Is the only real way to remove one hard drive at a time until there's definitely no clicking of is there some sort of software that could diagnose is there really is a bad drive?

Could there be something else causing this?

Thanks and I of course have all my data backed up in case this is the problem.

Well with the clicking and a few random freezes it really seems your drive is about to die. This is about the only way ive ever had a drive die on me and the symptoms are the same as yours.

As for software, most drive manufacturers provide their own software for diagnosing drives. Seagate has Seatools, WD has Data Lifegaurd, etc. Some of these tools work with all drives. (i believe ive used seatools on a maxtor drive..)

For raptor

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips!

I used the diagnostic software and nothing wrong came up so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I'm not sure what the freezes are from (my temps always seem fine) and I guess the clicking could be something else(maybe it's even the floorboards or something).

Thanks for the tips!

I used the diagnostic software and nothing wrong came up so I guess I'll wait and see what happens. I'm not sure what the freezes are from (my temps always seem fine) and I guess the clicking could be something else(maybe it's even the floorboards or something).

i hope you've taken the time to do backups on another drive....it's saved me a few of times...!!

oh ok i see that you have...that's good...!!

Thanks for the tips!

The same thing sort of happened to me, without the clicking. I sorted it out my disconnecting one hdd after another until the problem stopped, and I replaced the problem drive, although it takes a bit of time to do so, it may not be the best plan :rolleyes:

memtest your ram just incase (although it wont click, it can cause random freezes)
I'm going to memtest it tonight. I'm thinking it might have been the memory doing the freezing and possibly the TV that's in this room clicking. Although it did really sound like it was coming from the computer. Someone is trying to confuse me. lol

One other thing not sure what OS you are running, but if it is Windows, check out the event viewer in administrative tools. If a drive is failing, it often begins to show up as read or write failures, if you see one drive doing that, you can go to disk management, and find out what drive is failing.

i purchased a hard drive not too long ago and it made lots of noise...clicking sounds...

it worked fine for awhile, but in the process of getting a new build up and running with various problems, windows started warning me something about a hard drive problem...

if you're using windows you should be getting some sort of an error message that a drive is failing if indeed it is a hard drive problem (i think i was running vista x86 at the time)...

also at boot, i was getting a s.m.a.r.t. error...i'm not sure what the acronym stands for, but basically i think it's a test for problems with hard drives in the post process. maybe this is something only some bios's have, but you could check to see if the option to turn it on is in your bios...because if you have it and it's enabled and you're not getting an error messege, then most likely there's no problem with the hard drive.

Edited by Maj0r Gamer

Hi,

You should really do memtest but if it is possible do it outside of the OS. I have a Linux LiveCD that has memtest included most (k)ubuntu linux distros do have this tool.

Then you should check S.M.A.R.T. with some of Your drive manufacturer's tool. The seatools or others sometimes don't recognize physical problems with the drive (like worn out motor) instead they do some logical tests (find badsectors, benchmark speeds...)

It might be that drive's R/W errors are caused by bad memory.

do also START->Run->cmd [enter] "chkdsk c: /r/f & shutdown -r -t 0 & exit"[ENTER] without quotes agree to chkdsk's questions and let it reboot ;) then (it'll take some time) watch for log it will be displayed briefly after the scan. Look for BAD sectors there. ;) Hope You won't find any and the drive is good.

And yes, Seatools works with Maxtor, because Seagate bought Maxtor ;) But WD's tool work on samsung drives too;) (I've checked it!)

Best regards,

wiewior1984.