The Country Of Texas

road-runner

Gee, I wonder who this is aimed at? :P

I think your major roadblock here is that you assume people would want to come to the new Texas. Sure, the implied low taxes and "small government" sound nice, but at the cost of living in a "god and guns" police-state? No thanks. I'll keep what's left of my privacy rights, thanks.

I'm a big fan of a lot of conservative ideas, but left unchecked conservatives can and would be just as ugly as liberals in the same situation.

Actually when I thought of those states I was thinking of the two most financially fudged up, poorly run states in the union... and those were the two that came to mind :P I forgot you were from Michigan (I was thinking Illinois for some reason) until I read your post.

What about a god and guns police state? It's funny how lots of leftists, not just yourself, reference the conservative states as the police states, when historically it's the left-liberal states that thrust more government regulation and restriction onto the private lives of people, be it through high taxes, or through ordinances banning smoking/noise/dress, and other liberties. After all, "Big Brother" in 1984 was a leftist, and a sign of what was to come if the teachings of Marx continued to move west (as they did).

True conservatives believe in maximum individual liberty (look where Ron Paul is from). Most presidents aren't true conservatives because true conservatives don't get elected. On the state level it's a lot easier to be conservative and act like it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about a god and guns police state? It's funny how lots of leftists, not just yourself, reference the conservative states as the police states, when historically it's the left-liberal states that thrust more government regulation and restriction onto the private lives of people, be it through high taxes, or through ordinances banning smoking/noise/dress, and other liberties. After all, "Big Brother" in 1984 was a leftist, and a sign of what was to come if the teachings of Marx continued to move west (as they did).

This is very true. I was thinking more of the "Patriot Act" style police state, given that the proposed president of Texas is GW.

You talk about true conservatives and I totally agree, but they seem to be in short supply. I know it's just a joke and all, but with GW as president of Texas, I imagine you'll be left wanting in the true conservative ideals department.

For what it is worth, I have liven in 12 States, and 2 Commonwealths. And I can most certainly tell you that Police States are not run by the conservatives in this country, it it the Liberal States that want to control your live from birth to grave.

They may not use guns, but they use "Regulations", "Ordinances" and "Covenants"

I live in New Hampshire, and it is becoming a rather pale imitation of the place I moved 8 years ago. Now if you defend yourself, you get questioned, this was not the way before.

And you should consider who you would invite to your new country, because it has happened here, too many people fled Taxachussets for the "Live Free Or Die" State. Then they decided they wanted all the benefits of Taxachusets, forgetting who was going to pay for it.

And as for George Bush, sorry to say he was never a fiscal conservative, he spent money like a drunken sailor on leave after a 6 month cruise.

This is very true. I was thinking more of the "Patriot Act" style police state, given that the proposed president of Texas is GW.

You talk about true conservatives and I totally agree, but they seem to be in short supply. I know it's just a joke and all, but with GW as president of Texas, I imagine you'll be left wanting in the true conservative ideals department.

That's true I forgot they wanted Bush to be president of Texas. He did pretty well as governor, and if he wanted to implement no child left behind in Texas it would probably work out better than it did on the national level (he actually guinea pigged NCLB in Texas and it worked out well, just another example of why some major issues are best left at the state level and not nationalized - you'd think the founding fathers had an idea of what they were talking about or something :rolleyes: ). Would I want him to be president of Texas? I don't know... ideally I'd like to keep Rick Perry, but there are some better people out there for the job than Dubya.

For what it is worth, I have liven in 12 States, and 2 Commonwealths. And I can most certainly tell you that Police States are not run by the conservatives in this country, it it the Liberal States that want to control your live from birth to grave.

They may not use guns, but they use "Regulations", "Ordinances" and "Covenants"

I live in New Hampshire, and it is becoming a rather pale imitation of the place I moved 8 years ago. Now if you defend yourself, you get questioned, this was not the way before.

And you should consider who you would invite to your new country, because it has happened here, too many people fled Taxachussets for the "Live Free Or Die" State. Then they decided they wanted all the benefits of Taxachusets, forgetting who was going to pay for it.

And as for George Bush, sorry to say he was never a fiscal conservative, he spent money like a drunken sailor on leave after a 6 month cruise.

So true! And I think it's funny how stupid people are; they leave Massachusetts because they don't like the taxes and the high cost of living... so they move out of Taxachusetts and into New Hampshire where taxes and cost of living are lower. They then proceed to vote for the same leftist politicians they voted for in Taxachusetts, and now the poor people of New Hampshire are seeing the same taxes, cost of living, and regulations as Massachusetts people. It's absolutely amazing how oblivious people are to the fact that their votes affect the cost of living; it's not something that spontaneously increases and decreases, it changes based on government interference. More government interference = higher costs, less government interference = lower costs.

So either A) the people are presumptuous bastards who prefer to bless as many states as possible with their high tax/high spend ideology, B) they are simply ignorant and haven't made the connection in their fast-paced yankee minds that the reason they left Massachusetts is because of the people they voted for in the past, and if you vote for those same people in your new home, that home will soon look just like the place you left... and we are seeing this verbatim in New Hampshire. I really do feel sorry for you guys, and NC is in the same boat. TONS of liberal yanks moving down here to escape the cost of living in the north... only to vote for Bev Perdue and Kay Hagan in this past election - who will both raise taxes and costs of living even further than our current Mike Easly has. People. :rolleyes:

Most liberal people vote that way for social issues and not financial ones. If conservatives want to keep taxes and government regulation down, all they need to do is be more socially liberal, or at the very least moderate, and they'll get all the votes that keep putting the big government liberals into office.

It may seem contradictory for conservatives to be socially liberal, but that's only because we've come to assume that conservative equals Bible thumper. However, traditionally fiscal conservatives haven't really cared about these sort of things. If you think about it, if conservatives are really about freedom, then imposing religious views upon everyone is far from the notion of personal liberty. So letting people do what they want, such as perform abortions and letting homosexuals marry, is actually more in line with what the founding fathers would have wanted since nobody is infringing on anybody's rights.

Most liberal people vote that way for social issues and not financial ones. If conservatives want to keep taxes and government regulation down, all they need to do is be more socially liberal, or at the very least moderate, and they'll get all the votes that keep putting the big government liberals into office.

Sorry you do not give up your core values to be elected, that is the Liberal way of doing things. Stay true to your beliefs, sooner or later, even the most dense will see the truth.

This last election cycle had the "Press" decide to bias the election, and just blame Bush for everything that went wrong in the last 8 years, ignoring everything that happened before Bush took office. The one thing I can say is that I am happy that this was probably the last election the "Media" will have had the influence to really swing things, because by 2012, I doubt many newspapers will have any but a small internet circulation.

I'm not saying social conservatives need to change their ideals, I'm saying fiscal conservatives need to stop automatically adopting conservative social ideals. Historically, they didn't care about such things, and they could return to those days and get a ton of votes.

New New Hampshire sucks!

Old "Live Free or Die" New Hampshire, would be great!

But alas those days are over...

So true! And I think it's funny how stupid people are; they leave Massachusetts because they don't like the taxes and the high cost of living... so they move out of Taxachusetts and into New Hampshire where taxes and cost of living are lower. They then proceed to vote for the same leftist politicians they voted for in Taxachusetts, and now the poor people of New Hampshire are seeing the same taxes, cost of living, and regulations as Massachusetts people. It's absolutely amazing how oblivious people are to the fact that their votes affect the cost of living; it's not something that spontaneously increases and decreases, it changes based on government interference. More government interference = higher costs, less government interference = lower costs.

So either A) the people are presumptuous bastards who prefer to bless as many states as possible with their high tax/high spend ideology, B) they are simply ignorant and haven't made the connection in their fast-paced yankee minds that the reason they left Massachusetts is because of the people they voted for in the past, and if you vote for those same people in your new home, that home will soon look just like the place you left... and we are seeing this verbatim in New Hampshire. I really do feel sorry for you guys, and NC is in the same boat. TONS of liberal yanks moving down here to escape the cost of living in the north... only to vote for Bev Perdue and Kay Hagan in this past election - who will both raise taxes and costs of living even further than our current Mike Easly has. People. :rolleyes:

QFT

I don't live in NH anymore but it know exactly what you are talking about.

Not just taxes and such either, I know of a few places (I'm sure there are many many many many more) where yuppies move into an area (or have summer homes there) and convert the area into a liberal ideal haven.

Damn I mean just this past year a bunch of " liberal putz' " tried to get a well traveled road turned into a Class A trail (or something like that, essentially they wanted to shut down the road) at a town meeting because the didn't like the traffic since moving there.

The road has been there for over 100 years, its a back road that a lot of people use to avoid taking the highway through VT or going all the way through adjacent towns and doing a loop to get to another NH town. (its essentially a short cut through the middle of nowhere)

They almost succeeded but the towns folk outvoted them enough to keep the road open.

Its not just taxes, it is some peoples way of life that some people willingly (although sometimes unknowingly) try to take away.

Edited by Andrewr05