Gtx295 Or Sli 2 Gtx280's ?

MINDSCI

Hey guys, I was wondering if the new GTX295 dual GPU card would outperform 2 GTX280's in SLI?

Are cards with 2 GPU's on the same board inherently better performing and more stable than seperate cards in SLI?

I could get another BFG GTX280 for $350 which is what I paid for the 1st one a month ago after considering the mail in rebate, free shipping, free Far Cry 2, & LED flashlight.

Or should I move the "old" GTX 280 into my Desktop PC and get a GTX 295 for my HTPC/GAMER with an eye on Quad SLI in the future?

Thanks for any input!

i think the 295 is clocked alot lower because of the heat, so my guess is no it will not outperform it, but it is alot less hassle to just have 1 card and cheaper might i add. also if you considering "upgrading" than you are not going to SLI the 295 later on because a new powerful card will outdo Quad SLI in 6 months.

the question that I'm willing to ask is, do you really need that other 280.... lol

Ever since the GTX295 benches came out I am battling which one to choose.

Before I was happy with going GTX260 (BE probably) and thought the 4870X2 would be an overkill..

but after seeing the new I am thinking whether GTX260/216 will be able to hold up.. specially at 1920-resolution...

what do you guys think?

Is it better to wait out for the GTX295, which will also be quite cheaper than the 4870X2 if the media reports are anything to go by, or get a GTX260/280 and SLI sometime in about a year?

could anybody gaming at 1920-resolution let me know if it is possible get good gameplay with a GTX260/280?

Cheers.

Edited by madu

I sometimes run 1920x1080 on my 8800gtx. I don't run AA ever on any games but it handles pretty good even with settings on high. I have a gtx260 in the mail which should handle it even better raising my FPS even further. The 8800 doesn't get 60+ fps or anything...but it is definately playable imo (30+ fps)

i'm basing that off of running the original Crysis. I have Warhead and FC2 but haven't even gotten around to installing them yet. But I think Warhead would run better anyways as I've heard it is better optimized than Crysis anyways.

Edited by Raiderfan001

I would imagine 2x GTX 280 beats 1x GTX 295. (seeeing as the 295 is just 2x 260 right?)

But REALLY, do you NEED more power? Surely 1x GTX 28- plays EVERYTHING you throw at it maxed?

I have an 8800GTX, and I am still playing pretty much everything maxed. (@ 1920x1200)

And what good is a GTX280 in your desktop PC? I assume you play all your games on the GAMER? So surely the GTX280 would be totaly wasted in ur desktop machine? Just wasting power.

imo, hold off. If a game comes round you cant handle, get another GTX 280. Im sure they will come down in price by then.

I would imagine 2x GTX 280 beats 1x GTX 295. (seeeing as the 295 is just 2x 260 right?)

But REALLY, do you NEED more power? Surely 1x GTX 28- plays EVERYTHING you throw at it maxed?

I have an 8800GTX, and I am still playing pretty much everything maxed. (@ 1920x1200)

And what good is a GTX280 in your desktop PC? I assume you play all your games on the GAMER? So surely the GTX280 would be totaly wasted in ur desktop machine? Just wasting power.

imo, hold off. If a game comes round you cant handle, get another GTX 280. Im sure they will come down in price by then.

I believe a GTX295 is 2x GTX280 not GTX260.

The GTX 295 has some nice benches, I personally would go with the GTX 295...as selling or re-using the 'old' 280 would be much easier.

The only thing that bothers me is that no current card on the market can run games easily like Crysis / GTAIV (mainly because it's badly coded) etc. They really struggle at 1920x1200, and still drop below the 30fps mark. So im waiting for the next 8800 breakthrough. :) hopefully the GTX3**? Shader Model 5.0 ? DX11 ? :)

Edited by g1ng3r

I believe a GTX295 is 2x GTX280 not GTX260.

it's like 66% 260, 33% 280. I has the ram bus of a 260, a core speed of a 260 but the stream processors of a 280. weird bugger it is!

I still think you should just hang on to one 280 until the 280+/285/385 (or ATI 5870/5870x2) come out, I would see what some better single cores bring to the table.

The GTX 295 has some nice benches, I personally would go with the GTX 295...as selling or re-using the 'old' 280 would be much easier.

The only thing that bothers me is that no current card on the market can run games easily like Crysis / GTAIV (mainly because it's badly coded) etc. They really struggle at 1920x1200, and still drop below the 30fps mark. So im waiting for the next 8800 breakthrough. :) hopefully the GTX3**? Shader Model 5.0 ? DX11 ? :)

As you so well put, they are badly coded. Its no good getting more power if the game cant use it.

Some games look and run incredibly well, yet require a fraction of the power Crysis does. All comes down to good development.

if the top end card cannot max the game out, there is a problem imo. its also total BS to say its coded for future hardware, well, they have NO IDEA what is coming next, so how can they possibly code for it? Besides very few people have the TOP END hardware of today, so how about they code for the MAIN hardware of the day.