My Simple Gaming Rig

corleone88

hey guys, im building a gaming rig catered more for modern day RTS for my friend. cant really play those games on high with a P4 n a 6600 can i? All i need is the CPU, Mobo, Gfx, Psu, and ram. I have an old cooler master atx casing that cools well enough and for the monitor i have a samsung T220.

Com Specs:

processor:CORE 2 DUO E8400 3.00 ghz

motherboard:ASUS P5Q P45

Memory:KINGSTON value ram 800mhz ddr2 2x2gb

Graphics Card:GIGABYTE HD4870 1GB

Power Supply Unit: Cooler Master Extreme Power 550W

Im a little bit unsure of the Psu n the Proc, should i go with a q6600 or stick with the e8400? any thoughts on that? about a budget, i cant really give one as my currency is in malaysian ringgit but it should come out about USD 900 for these 5 parts.

Edited by corleone88

the e8400 is good... but change ur PSU.... like cooler master m520 or corsair 520 or 620.... HELLO kau dari malaysia jugak!! haha... aku tinggal kat KL.... haha... wait what cooler are u buying?... or just the stock intel cooler?

Edited by abid

another factor i forgot to put in is that they want to make it in a way so that they dont have to upgrade the rig in the future. in other words get a PSU with 80+ ? but the wattage is good enough ya? Yo brother, aku jugak, parts semue beli dari lowyat. Well, cooler is just the stock cooler. dont see a need for an aftermarket cooler for this build.

yes.... then the e8400 is 45nm.... but most game certified quad cores and q6600 is 65nm... igot it.. its cool... haha

ade lagi satu kedai baik punye... modernopc.com...

Edited by abid

Hi,

E8400 is propably a Wolfdale (I've got one and it's fine) try the E8500 - should be a penryn, they're superior to wolfdales ;)

@ tanka12345

*My Current Killer PC* - Windows Xp Home Edition 32 Bit

Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz - Hynix 504MB DDR-166Mhz SDRAM - Micro ATX Motherboard Elitegroup L4S5MG/651+ - Acer AL506 15" Monitor - Seagate ST380012A IDE 5200RPM 80GB HDD 1MB Cache - SIS 650_740 8MB Integrated Graphics - OEM Case

- My PC's probably the worst one here :( -

Well, I don't agree. one of my PCs is still:

ECS K7VZA + Sempron 1800+ + 2x256 samsung SDRAM + HIS Radeon 7500 + some salvaged HDDs and no ODD ;) the PSU is 200W Seasonic.

oh yeah and it has 4 ethernet cards because it is intended to be a router+home server ;) So cheer up ;) There are no bad PCs. There are just some that don't fit for some tasks ;)

There is no Penryn Dual Core. Penryn is Quad, Wolfdale is Dual.

So E8500=Wolfdale

Merom are mobile chips at 65nm (for laptops, can be single or dual core)

Penyrn are mobile chips at 45nm (for laptops, can be single, dual or quad)

Conroe and Allendale use the 65nm process and are dual core desktop chips.

Wolfdale uses the 45nm process and are dual core Desktop chips.

Kentsfield is a Desktop quad chip at 65nm.

Yorkfield is a Desktop quad chip at 45nm.

There are "Extreme Editions" for the Conroe, Kentsfield, Yorkfield, Merom and Penyrn (both dual and quad)

Just to clear it up so there is no mis-information

Source :Wikipedia