Is On-board Sound Good Enough?

redtigerdragon

i love my Realtek onboard, idk if my motherboard being an extreme edition might make it have better audio but I love how versatile this one is. I can plug whatever i want with it and then tell the system what I plugged in and it's good to go. I'd have to hear the X-FI but idk if it'd be worth it to me, this sounds plenty nice as it is.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as an old Fart, I can no longer hear the really high tones, but can feel the low ones. Yes as you get older your high frequency hearing starts to go as well as other things.

So for me, I would rather put the money into other things, memory CPU, etc

does anyone have any experience with the xfi sound that comes with some boards coming out now? I saw some msi boards that come with and extra card type thing that has creative xfi on it. I heard its software based and not hardware, but I'm wondering if it would be better then my creative Audigy that im running now. If anything it would clear up some airflow if i get that card out of there.

• 2 weeks later...
If you are not an audiophile, on board sound card just enough. You can't find the different IMO.

Ya.... I have a similar question. I just got a Asus p6t Delux motherboard and I saw it had a nice Optical Out that would match up well with my Logitech Z-5500 Speakers. I have and SOundblaster Audigy 2 and it has NO Optical Ouyput. The onboard sound on these anygood (from people who mught own the board)?

As above. If you actually care about your sound quality, onboard is NEVER good enough really.

Unless you've got golden ears the speakers/headphones you are using have about 100x more distortion than your sound card will ever put out (unless you're clipping it of course).

I've yet to find a real comparison of the newer sound cards versus newer onboard sound. Aside from sound to noise and output levels not many show anything appreciable in terms of differences playing the same source material.

Unless you've got golden ears the speakers/headphones you are using have about 100x more distortion than your sound card will ever put out (unless you're clipping it of course).

I've yet to find a real comparison of the newer sound cards versus newer onboard sound. Aside from sound to noise and output levels not many show anything appreciable in terms of differences playing the same source material.

I have to agree with the Wackoid. Unless your a true audiophile then will never really notice the difference.

im still using my audigy 2 and from time to time the bios resets and the onboard audio is turned on. so i try it out and find it still sounds bad and the difference is still night and day in my ears. either you have crappy headphones or you just don't have the ears.

i don't have golden ears but i can hear when things are being clipped and it bugs the heck out of me. listen to some dvd-audio or DTS tracks and say you can't hear the difference from onboard to a sound card.

I can hear the difference....

But still for me...the right speaker combo for the set up and room and it doesnt make alot of difference...

the Realteks built in equalizer can help a little...

the best onboard audio by far for my has been the audio on the DFI NF3-250gb board...

I have yet to have anything match the quality sound of that board...

some boards do implement the sound chip better than others but most are good...I use my PC for my music media and it works great with onboard...I had to reconfigure the rear out puts for 3 outs...

1 out for headphones for gaming and then 1 for the sub-box with 4 satellites and the other for a Dell 2.1 with small sub box...between these it sounds very good...what range one doesnt have the other makes up for...:) but a 1000watt system but it still is loud enough to hear in other rooms no problem...