Is On-board Sound Good Enough?

redtigerdragon

With the new mobo's, is the onboard sound good enough, or do i really need a sound card? I like gaming and am big on graphics, and i am using a soundblaster live! 5.1 card now cuz my mobo is tto old to have 5.1 chanels. That's all I want, and my speakers are ok (most of the time use headphones cuz nieghbors are b**chy). I'm not a hardcore gamer, only because i don't have the money to be.

:blink:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my new msi board has onboard surround sound and i have no complaints so i would say it's good...atleast plenty good enough and it works :)

is a good sound card with surround sound support better...perhaps, but i have nothing to compare it too.

if you have the extra money to spend you will most likely see better quality, but i don't think it's necessary...i havn't felt the need to do so personally.

I sold my X-Fi Xtremegamer to use the on-board sound and don't miss the X-Fi at all.

On-board sound has come a LONG way. On-board sound quality is probably very similar to the Live! you're using now. Understand you'll probably loose some fps you get now in games when the cpu has to do all the audio.

honestly, I bought my x-fi card to offload processing from the CPU, and wiht the room not being very square, hollow, and "lightly constructed" the acoustics would really be poor. so getting an audio card might help clear up buzzing, or glitching and help the CPU do faster work, it really has no other purpose for my needs, and those problems really are non-existent without other problems from other sources. I found on-board audio from a reputable board manufacturer to work just fine. The only thing i do like about an audio card is the software i have has a crossover in it so fine tune the frequencies delivered to the Sub-woofer...that had more effect in quality than anything.

I used to buy all the plat sound cards and swore by them. Last three systems I have built, I have done with onboard audio. I personally can not tell a difference but as robAP said above I use high end boards. (EVGA & ASUS) I run Klipsh speakers which are very very LOUD and have and extreme amount of base that I can't turn up more than 1/3 of the way before things around my house start vibrating. (Seriously) So I do like sound but on board seems as good if not the same for standard apps and games. If you a music person (play a real instrument) you might want to consider one of the other sound solutions.

With the new mobo's, is the onboard sound good enough, or do i really need a sound card? I like gaming and am big on graphics, and i am using a soundblaster live! 5.1 card now cuz my mobo is tto old to have 5.1 chanels. That's all I want, and my speakers are ok (most of the time use headphones cuz nieghbors are b**chy). I'm not a hardcore gamer, only because i don't have the money to be.

:blink:

I don't know, do YOU think need a sound card? Do you like how your onboard audio sounds?

If you said No, then you need a Sound card.

If you said Yes, then you don't.

If you need a sound card, you should start looking for one.

Try the OCC reviews or Newegg reviews.