tcath2o

Network Cards

one just takes longer to crack into the neighbor's router lol

j/k ofc

but I think wep is 128 bit and wpa is 256 bit encrpytion. I could be wrong but i think thats correct.

WEP can be easily cracked by many free tools available on the internet like aircrack. WPA is, for the most part, uncrackable (there is a small vulnerability found recently that can be easily patched by turning off a certain option) Almost all routers support WPA encryption, and a lot of adapters do, but make sure it mentions on the website whether they support WPA encryption or not.

The guys that invented wireless were very smart people, but they were not secure people.

Basically WEP is a small $5 combination lock, and WPA 2-PSK is a Vault with armed guards. Both can be cracked, but WPA just takes a hell of a long time to do if used to its fullest extent.

:withstupid:

Pilliy has it right. WPA can be cracked but by the time it is you should notice what is going on.

Another big difference, WPA uses a different encryption method, making it less vulnerable to interference from like microwave ovens and cellphones.

WPA is far stronger encryption method than WEP. Though sometimes it takes more CPU time to decrypt the packet. It doesn't matter if it's home use, but consider Access Points that serve 20 or so clients ;) they quickly become busy ;)