Blue Ray

tcath2o

Yea it is amazing how some of the older movies look so good vs the newer ones. I seen Omega Man, The Sting, and Patton on Blu-Ray they looked amazing. Crystal clear unlike some of the newer films who I think overuse film grain beyond the max. I mean film grain is nice in parts of the movie when focusing on the foreground, but when it covers the overall picture it just doesn't look good. Reason I never bought 300, its full of film grain.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it is amazing how some of the older movies look so good vs the newer ones. I seen Omega Man, The Sting, and Patton on Blu-Ray they looked amazing. Crystal clear unlike some of the newer films who I think overuse film grain beyond the max. I mean film grain is nice in parts of the movie when focusing on the foreground, but when it covers the overall picture it just doesn't look good. Reason I never bought 300, its full of film grain.

That's not grain :lol:

Personally, I like 300's look, but I can see how people would be put off by it... it's quite imposing

ya planet earth is one of the select titles where the bluray really distances it far from 480 dvd resolution. The footage for that program is nothing short of breathtaking.

Planet Earth is great, but could have been much better... again it suffers from buggering about in transfers it was made in 1080i25 but then converted for the US market, which will then degrade further when played at 24p, Also - although they don't like to admit it, the nature unit use ENG cameras to save money on some shots... :(

As I am not really a Home Theater Fan, nor am I that into movies. Though on a large TV, Blueray does look good. I could see getting a player, once the prices drop, but for backup, I think the cost is above what it is worth.

I back up just about everything I have, and it is easier for me to get something like Anyware's Docking Station, and as I replace a hard drive, use the old one for backup, and store it. With Media and burner and prices being what they are, I can back up 1 TB for about $200 today, where you might pay that for just the Burner.

Besides Hard drives are much faster for backups.