Blue Ray

tcath2o

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly no, unless of course your seriously into your movies and you have a full hd 50" or bigger tv then its a waste. If you were to go blue ray just buy a ps3 its alot easier and then you could play games on ps3 if you really wanted to. I am getting one of these for xmas :thumbs-up:

The picture quality of BluRay vs. DVD is noticeable if you have a good HD TV. If you are the type of user who wants or has a kickass home theater setup then BluRay is for you.

though it's still better to get a ps3 if you are going to get a bluray player. It's not worth it just as a player.

ya but if I want high capacity storage. I'd get a decent flash drive or build a smaller external drive and have tons of gigs to play with while also having the writing and reading be pretty fast (hard drive), not to mention that I could give and take data freely, where as a disc (unless rewritable) is a one shot deal. (which even with the rewritable, it will be god awful slow, even worse than a flashdrive most likely)

Is it worth the upgrade? Possibly. It's still expensive for films etc.

Is it much better? Hell yes. Watch a 1080p movie on a 52" screen and then watch the same film in standard DVD format. You'll not want to go back.

I think everyone is confused. Are you talking about Movies DVDs vs Blu-Ray. Or storage wise, DVD vs Blu-Ray. To be honest Blu-Ray disc are still expensive. It may take them awhile to drop. Pioneer is working on a 400GB Blu-Ray disc that can be read in any Blu-Ray drive out now. It's still in the development stages, I believe last time I heard news of it. It was still only read-only. Plus I'm not sure how fast the speeds are on a Blu-Ray so I'm pretty sure they all burn pretty slow.

If your looking for storage might be better to just buy an external hard drive.

If your looking for high quality movies, blu-ray would be better than DVD if you have a really big HDTV. If you have a SD TV you probably can't even notice the difference. Some people say you need at least a 50"+ HDTV to notice 720p vs 1080p, but that's purely up to the watcher. I got an old dinosaur 65" CRT ($200, hell yea. Was it heavy? Hell yea!), but it only supports 480i/480p/1080i :(. I use my PS3 to watch dvd rips and hd rips and both look fine on the 65" and 32" that I have..

Edited by Krazyxazn