Sign in to follow this  
d3bruts1d

OCC's Definitive Mac OS X Software List

What kind of mac do you have, d3?

Several months ago, me and a few friends were looking at doing some development on the Mac. Not knowing if we'd actually accomplish anything, we all went out and got the low end Mac Mini. It's only about $600 at the Apple Store, and the place we work gets about a 10% discount on products there. :D While the graphic power sucks (wont be gaming on this), it's not a bad little system. I actually opened mine up about 2 weeks after having it and upgraded the HDD (80G to 320G) and the memory (1G to 2G).

Several months ago, me and a few friends were looking at doing some development on the Mac. Not knowing if we'd actually accomplish anything, we all went out and got the low end Mac Mini. It's only about $600 at the Apple Store, and the place we work gets about a 10% discount on products there. :D While the graphic power sucks (wont be gaming on this), it's not a bad little system. I actually opened mine up about 2 weeks after having it and upgraded the HDD (80G to 320G) and the memory (1G to 2G).

Oh nice. I was looking at one of those for awhile but then I went with the macbook. My only complaint is the gfx power. The gma x3100 can play SOME things (ut2k4, cs:s, kinda tf2) but I mostly just stay in OSX. I love the keyboard and the audio chip is top-notch. Plus I got the 2.2ghz version with the 4mb cache. The newer one with the 2.4ghz chip only has 3mb cache which is pretty lame. So overall 8/10 for me.

Do you have windows on yours d3? Have you tried linux on it?

Do you have windows on yours d3? Have you tried linux on it?

I have both running in VMWare fusion. Mainly just run Windows until Intuit releases the new Quicken for Mac.

Added and updated several items on the list.

I'm really looking forward to giving BusyCal a try. Also, once "The Hit List" gets a real page, I'll be adding it to the list. It's in beta right now, and sounds like it'll be a very nice task management app.

I was in the process of updating the list, after saving it I noticed the list was mseed up missing a number of things. I think it may be because I used the quick edit.

So, while there are some new items on the list, there is also a section or two missing. I'll have to see if I can figure out what was lost.

Thanks for the list.. How about a games list (only the real good ones) ? There aren't many games for mac are there? I was looking to test my Hackintosh graphics but couldn't find anything other than CoD (which apparently isn't available in my country).