Sign in to follow this  
redtigerdragon

4830 Vs 4850

4850 > 4830

But if you're on a budget a 4830 is not a bad buy.

Yeah i knew that but i was wondering if I was being stupid to not pony up the extra cash for the 4850. Anyways i decided on the 4850, b/c that seems to be the general response. Any suggestions on brand (good overclocker)? I saw the review on the sapphire looked good, and the dual slot cooler is cheaper than the single. That's good cuz from what i've read they run hot.

Yeah i knew that but i was wondering if I was being stupid to not pony up the extra cash for the 4850. Anyways i decided on the 4850, b/c that seems to be the general response. Any suggestions on brand (good overclocker)? I saw the review on the sapphire looked good, and the dual slot cooler is cheaper than the single. That's good cuz from what i've read they run hot.

From what I know, the Powercolor 4850 PCS+ works like a charm and it's dead silent (still, leaves tons of hot air in your case). But if you're planning on doing some OC on it I would recomend the HIS 4850 ICEQ4+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814161246

Already comes with a slight factory OC and has the best cooler of all the 4850.

Edited by RSC08

what about that ASUS one with 680 on it's core from the start, which hopefully means it's voltage is tweaked and you can exceed the max of other cards. There IS a 700mhz Gigabyte card but it costs 200 (180 after MIR) where as the ASUS costs 160 (and then 130 after MIR).

what about that ASUS one with 680 on it's core from the start, which hopefully means it's voltage is tweaked and you can exceed the max of other cards. There IS a 700mhz Gigabyte card but it costs 200 (180 after MIR) where as the ASUS costs 160 (and then 130 after MIR).

yeah 200 is my MAX limit, but i'd like to stay under that. The ASUS looks good though. Anyone else say this is a good board, or other suggestions for specific 4850?

yeah 200 is my MAX limit, but i'd like to stay under that. The ASUS looks good though. Anyone else say this is a good board, or other suggestions for specific 4850?

i'd say the asus is the best deal for how strong it is and I believe it's one of the cheapest 4850's on newegg, not just 2nd strongest

In my opinion, factors like brand and factory pre-overclock are not so important.

- The fact that some of the cards come pre-overclocked does not mean that they have better overclocking potential than 'regular' cards.

- Do you plan to stay with this card for a longer period of time (let's say 2-3 years)? If so, I'd suggest to buy a card with 1GB RAM instead of 512 MB.

- 4850 runs quite hot, so if you plan to overclock, either buy a card with a good non-reference cooler, or buy a cheaper card and invest some money in a good aftermarket cooler like this one http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147

- The fact that some of the cards come pre-overclocked does not mean that they have better overclocking potential than 'regular' cards.

sometimes it does, they may use higher quality capacitors or cherry picked high quality components. And if the overclock is severe enough they may even bump up the voltage from the reference spec (which'll let you take it farther than you could have before)

- Do you plan to stay with this card for a longer period of time (let's say 2-3 years)? If so, I'd suggest to buy a card with 1GB RAM instead of 512 MB.

I thought the 1gb 4850 actually performed worse in some cases? (I could be thinking about the 2gb version so correct me if I'm wrong)

I thought the 1gb 4850 actually performed worse in some cases? (I could be thinking about the 2gb version so correct me if I'm wrong)

Assuming that the cards differ only in memory size (and not in PCB, components or GPU/memory frequencies), they should perform roughly the same with the recent games.

What I had in mind is that it is possible for next-gen games to have more than 512mb of textures. In this case, 1gb cards will probably perform noticeable better than 512mb cards.

Assuming that the cards differ only in memory size (and not in PCB, components or GPU/memory frequencies), they should perform roughly the same with the recent games.

What I had in mind is that it is possible for next-gen games to have more than 512mb of textures. In this case, 1gb cards will probably perform noticeable better than 512mb cards.

ya I found that to be a problem with the 4870, the GPU can handle anything I throw at it. However, if I were to turn on AA it instantly halfs my frames (and 4x cuts them down to a 1/4 what they were, and so on)

I think the 4870 should have been 1gb to start, of course then it would not have been as cheap at release.

I have a MSI r4830. works great and saved $30 off what the asus cost.

From the research I did there was minimal difference in frame rates.

If I end up getting a second one thats even more savings.