markiemrboo

Realtek 8111, Repeated Cable Unplugged, Connecting At 100mbps

Since upgrading my switch to Gigabit (3com, so not exactly cheap rubbish either) I had been having problems with my onboard Realtek adapter, model 8111 (err, I think), connecting at 1gbps. It would sit there for about a minute or two, connecting at 1gbps then instantly disconnecting and telling me the network cable had been unplugged. It would repeat this, and then eventually connect at 100mbps. I tried replacing all cables and that did nothing, and all other 1gbps adapters seemed to connect without issue (more Realteks and an Intel card in the homeserver).

I seem to have come to a solution:

- Noting my overclock settings, because I forget

- Restore 'optimal defaults' or whatever it's called in BIOS settings

- Save settings and shut down

- Turn off and unplug PSU, and hit the power button a couple of times to 'drain' (first time my power LED tends to flicker, second time nothing :))

- Remove CMOS battery

- Short CMOS jumper

- Eat dinner for 15 minutes whilst giving the computer the evil eye (cue Phillip Glass - Koyannisquatsi)

- Reassemble, reapply overclock

That's it. I've absolutely no idea why it made a difference, but it's not had a problem connecting at 1gbps for the past 4 days now. Weird.

Hope it stays this way, and I hope this helps someone.

could just be a faulty LAN chip.

try updating ur drivers to latest, try a new Ethernet card, if it works, use that :)

however u said this problem started since u upgraded ur switch, try a different port on the switch

could just be a faulty LAN chip.

try updating ur drivers to latest, try a new Ethernet card, if it works, use that :)

however u said this problem started since u upgraded ur switch, try a different port on the switch

I worked as a network tech for comcast for about 6 months. It could be the port, you know. Meaning, where you plug in the chords to the card. It happens more than you think. They become loose or have glitches or sometimes just stop working for no reason.

Err. The post wasn't really me asking for suggestions for a fix, it was me posting what fixed an issue for me. It happens rarely on the forums, so it's probably taken you all by surprise, I know :P

And no, PCI-E bus was not overclocked before :P BIOS settings are also identical, I noted them all down and set them back to previous after the CMOS clear.

One of my older nForce 4 boards did the same exact thing. After shutting it off totally (power supply discharged) for 15 minutes or so it never did it again. :lol:

One of my older nForce 4 boards did the same exact thing. After shutting it off totally (power supply discharged) for 15 minutes or so it never did it again. :lol:

was it a dfi? people claimed they had crappy lan chips...although i never had probs

was it a dfi? people claimed they had crappy lan chips...although i never had probs

This one was a Chaintech, my ASUS did it too briefly.