Should I Game In Vista Or Stick With Xp

madu

I don't care about Aero. I use Compiz for daily activities which is miles apart from Aero IMHO.

I will disable those services.

So Vista 64-bit is a version to go if I am only using it for gaming?

My rig will be Asus P6T+Corei7 920+Black edition GTX 260+ 4GB DDR3.

I guess I will be able to handle Vista <_<

4GB ram w/ i7? You might want to think about 3GB, since i7's work best with tri channel sets.

But anyways, Vista.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to shock some, but at this point you have to go with Vista. The newest SP is testing as fast as XP and simply looks and feels better now that the OS has grown up some. Also this thing called Direct X 10 is on Vista.

That is not the only reason though.

Windows 7 is just around the corner. It is smoking both Vista and XP SP3 in apps across the board. Now that means we will all be upgrading to 7. But your cost to do it from XP is almost as much if not the same as getting a full Copy. In fact they may just make you do that. Where the Vista folks are assured to have a less that 1/3 cost to upgrade.

Edited by Rodneyho

I have loved vista ever since its launch, i feel the build of it is jsut more secure and stable.

i have always dual booted vista32 & xp

i started using xp for gaming and benching,

anymore after sp1 for vista and the fixes they have put out for it. i rarely ever even use xp anymore, just for a bench or two.

dx10 ability and dx10 games are starting to come into play alot more now, and honestly the difference anymore between xp and vista is every week or two i have to get rid of some garbage spyware xp has caught somehow.

otherwise i think vista looks and reacts way better.

EXCEPT FOR COPYING FILES ONTO A SEPERATE PARTITION.

otherwise im happy.

:]

:edit: and for windows 7 being around a corner. anything microsuck makes that has beta releases is FAR from being done. thats a friggin mighty big corner to tell someone to wait to get around. dont be suprised if something stalls and we dont see this till late 09 or 10

Vista works fine for me. I find it works better than XP for gaming. Alt-tabbing out of a game and back in is more stable. If anything freezes it has a better chance of not crashing the program (as XP would just assume it needs to be shut down). When a game does crash, Vista isolates the problem better.

Oh and DX10.

That's just my opinion of what I've experienced in gaming on both o/s, of course.

people that say vista sucks are really just ignorant. if you have the system that will run it well (4gb ram, dx10 video card), then you won't have any problems. if you do, then you're doing something wrong. i've been running vista ultimate for almost two years and I have zero complaints. go vista.

QMax made a good point - vista does isolate PROGRAM instability alot better than xp did, and Alt+Tabbing is much faster for me. Nearly instant in and out of games.

Edited by airman

If you've honestly stuck with XP so far, like I have, I suggest just sticking around with it. There's really no reason to spend the money unless you absolutely must have DX10 and a prettier interface, which isn't that great anyway.

With Christmas and student refunds coming around, I went through thinking what I should buy. A GTX 260, Q6600, or even Vista were all on my mind. I decided against them all since all my games are perfectly playable, and I don't think its worth it to spend $200+ on unnecessarily higher FPS or a slicker interface.

Saving money is underrated. :(

Edited by Instag0

Anyone who thinks Vista isn't stable is running on unstable hardware. Vista hasn't crashed on me a single time in over a year of overclocked use.

In short - stop blaming the OS for hardware problems and stop spreading rumors that "Vista isn't stable enough for me" when it's a perfectly stable OS. My desktop is sitting at exactly zero unexpected restarts and shutdowns after well over a year of usage.

:withstupid:

The only time Vista has ever crashed is because of hardware issues, the most prominent one being the crappy ATI drivers and their atikmdag.dll BSOD. My next video is definitely going to be an nVidia card since ATI's drivers suck so hard.

Guest KrankyOldLady

I have vista premium 64 running and i wont be going back, i can tell you that.

My machine is oced and i did take a day to sort out the services, look here for a really good explanation of that.

You can choose what you need and how you want to set it up.

I went for the "save" option wich is awesome:)

vistatrimmeddown.jpg

mind you this pic is taken when vista is idle en done booting up:)

Edited by KrankyOldLady

people that say vista sucks are really just ignorant. if you have the system that will run it well (4gb ram, dx10 video card), then you won't have any problems. if you do, then you're doing something wrong. i've been running vista ultimate for almost two years and I have zero complaints. go vista.

QMax made a good point - vista does isolate PROGRAM instability alot better than xp did, and Alt+Tabbing is much faster for me. Nearly instant in and out of games.

Anyone who thinks Vista isn't stable is running on unstable hardware. Vista hasn't crashed on me a single time in over a year of overclocked use.

In short - stop blaming the OS for hardware problems and stop spreading rumors that "Vista isn't stable enough for me" when it's a perfectly stable OS. My desktop is sitting at exactly zero unexpected restarts and shutdowns after well over a year of usage.

Im gonna have to agree here. I used to have to format XP every 6 months or so because it would "get bogged and slow", I havent had this issue with vista in the slightest bit. When i do have an issue, vista is more helpful in letting me know whats causing the problem. All in all, I think vista is more responsive, and possibly more stable than XP. (for me atleast.)

• 1 month later...

I had a couple of days worth of headaches getting Vista x64 set up on my network. 2k was easy, XP was a slight err metophorical(?) headache but I got there, Vista actually gave me a real life headache, but I got there. I still have a couple of issues with it, but for the most part it's seeming OK, and after a weeks usage I am not finding myself irritated and missing XP any more really. I've noticed Vista seems to be slower with some things, but meh, not really overly fussed (or.. i'm determined to have all computer switched to Vista X64 and so am ignoring the issues :))