Difference In Core Temperatures

CheeseMan42

On the Q6600, I have a major difference in the core temps using Core Temp under load (Folding).

Core 0: 62C

Core 1: 57C

Core 2: 45C

Core 3: 47C

I'm guessing this isn't how it should behave. Is the culprit an incorrectly mounted heatsink? I'm planning to redo it when I get some AS5. This system is running at stock. I want to get this sorted before I start to OC.

On the Q6600, I have a major difference in the core temps using Core Temp under load (Folding).

Core 0: 62C

Core 1: 57C

Core 2: 45C

Core 3: 47C

I'm guessing this isn't how it should behave. Is the culprit an incorrectly mounted heatsink? I'm planning to redo it when I get some AS5. This system is running at stock. I want to get this sorted before I start to OC.

Usually they vary but not that much, I am going to say there is not enough paste or to much or something is not flat either the cooler or the cpu...

This is how mine is too. I posted on it a while back and they said to try reapplying it again, but I got the same result. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I placed a little dot in the middle and spread it around with a credit card. I later heard that just placing a thin line across the processor and then setting the heatsink on it to flatten and spread it out is how it should be done. I'm not too sure about that though, but I might give it a try if someone else recommends that.

on every quad core processor i've ever come into contact with, the first two cores almost always display a higher temperature than the second two. usually by 2-3 degrees, but sometimes more. i've even seen a Prime95 run where there was almost 7-8 degrees in difference between cores 0 and 1 and cores 2 and 3.

I can guess your problem may even be related to the folding software itself... (I don't know much about it, so take this with a grain of salt.) but it may be that the folding isn't using all four of your cores... have you used task manager to monitor each core's usage during folding? if not, it could very well be that you are only using 2 cores fully and the other two are at 50% or some other amount...

This is how mine is too. I posted on it a while back and they said to try reapplying it again, but I got the same result. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I placed a little dot in the middle and spread it around with a credit card. I later heard that just placing a thin line across the processor and then setting the heatsink on it to flatten and spread it out is how it should be done. I'm not too sure about that though, but I might give it a try if someone else recommends that.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm

on every quad core processor i've ever come into contact with, the first two cores almost always display a higher temperature than the second two. usually by 2-3 degrees, but sometimes more. i've even seen a Prime95 run where there was almost 7-8 degrees in difference between cores 0 and 1 and cores 2 and 3.

I can guess your problem may even be related to the folding software itself... (I don't know much about it, so take this with a grain of salt.) but it may be that the folding isn't using all four of your cores... have you used task manager to monitor each core's usage during folding? if not, it could very well be that you are only using 2 cores fully and the other two are at 50% or some other amount...

All cores are at 100% load.

do you have the same temp diffs, if you use OCCT v2 > Custom > Infiinite > CPU ?

I'll try that out when I get home today.