Sign in to follow this  
Kingfisher

Blackberry Phone Used As Modem For Internet

To make a long story short, I live in an appartment complex who only offers a cable TV service for both internet and television.

Their customer service is horrible and I am fed up with them.

I am going to use Directv sattelite for my television viewing as they are offering a deal "too good to pass up" now.

That being said, I am going to try out using my Blackberry curve celly as a modem.

According to T-mobile, my cell carrier, I can acheive around 384kbs speeds up to 10GB data tranfers and after that it throttles to 185kbs and refreshes each month bill cycle.

Anyone use their handheld device like that and if so, how do you like it?

I had about that for DSL for a while and although multiplayer games and internet browsing was fine, it took forever to watch videos and like an hour to download 100mbs. I cant comment on how tethering is but personally I would tough it out. I dont think it offers and way to use a wireless router and things like that and if tethering and a data plan is as expensive as verizon its going to cost an . load more that whatever crappy internet you have now.

I can use either USB wired connection or bluetooth.

I won't give that cable provider one more penny of my money so if this doesn't work out(I most often just surf the net and do not play online games) I can get DSL if I had to.

I go for DSL. Im not sure who you've got avaliable but Ive been with ATT for years and the uptime is great and speeds are always stable.

Our cable blew. Then we went to ATT with their new Uverse thing and we couldn't be happier! :) +1 for ATT.

id hope that you have a good data plan on the BB as tethering will count towards you limit (at least it does with Rogers here in Canada)

I would look into DSL personally though, i have tried the tethering and its ok for on the move stuff but still slow as hell even with a 3G phone.

id hope that you have a good data plan on the BB as tethering will count towards you limit (at least it does with Rogers here in Canada)

I would look into DSL personally though, i have tried the tethering and its ok for on the move stuff but still slow as hell even with a 3G phone.

I get 10GB of data tranfer a month before it starts to throttle down from 4x to 2x as fast as dial-up and refreshes each month.

Our schools internet is slow because of all the kids in the cafe on myspace and what not so I often tether my Sprint phone via bluetooth and it is decently fast. I can stream youtube videos and websites load fairly quickly, it feels around DSL speed even though I know it's not. I was able to play an MMO on it before pretty decently but idk how good T-Mobile's internet is. I like using my sprint internet though

using my Blackberry tethered to desktop now I am getting about 115kb/s download speed.

Slow and perhaps I may lose patients, but it works and I am free of my cable internet and their horrible service.

Tolerable at the moment. :thumbs-up:

Ok, I lasted a little over a month. Between the periodic connection dropping and the overall snail's pace, I can't take it anymore. :unsure:

If anyone else ever decides to try using their cell phone as a modem... DON'T DO IT! :closedeyes:

Back to the dark side and their cable internet until i move later this year.

i work for att, your quite the trooper using a curve for home internet service, if you ever want to try that again invest in a 3g phone. tethering a phone for internet only really becomes a serious option when you need a wireless card to work outside the home. for the same amount of money monthly you can get a wireless card or you can get tethering on a phone and if you have a 3g phone it will work at the same speeds as the card you probably signed a 2yr agreement for plus you get internet on your phone.

also though a 3g card my be rated to handle something like 3mbps but FYI the network is not that fast, probably more like 1mbps max'ish. those speeds are good for lite browsing, AKA reading, banking stuff like that can be slightly pleasant maybe a youtube video now and again ( but don't count on it). Edge is really only good for emails anything more than that and you'll probably get hungry and leave the room to make a sandwich before the page loads