Directx 10.1 And Vista Compared To Directx9.0c And Xp

Kingfisher

ummmm... ok?

he's talking about the colder temps of Chicago compared to Dallas making it more likely to achieve higher overclocking.

A picture is worth a thousand words right?

http://i381.photobucket.com/albums/oo254/K...OLFAIL2copy.jpg

And what makes you assume that's a Vista problem? I don't have Ati, so I can't speak from personal experience, but obviously it's working for waco, so there seems to be something else at play here.

As for the OP, I've been running Vista Home Premium 64 for nearly a year now (holy cow, I can't believe it's been that long), and I've never looked back. As waco said, performance varies by game. Visually, however, DX10 is extremely nice, and despite what some may want you to believe, is definitely noticeable.

The ONLY thing I have not been able to run is the Cisco VPN client. For some stupid reason, Cisco doesn't want to make a 64-bit client (they have a Vista one that works just fine in 32-bit Vista). I have been able to install and run every 32-bit application just fine, except Cisco blocks it from even installing if it detects a 64-bit OS. Good job, Cisco...way to be on the cutting edge :rolleyes:.

Other than that, everything else is peachy.

I love Vista. DX10 FTW! I don't care what people say, I can't go back. It just looks soooo good.

I noticed a performance decrease when I went from XP to Vista

Yea, i have to agree. DX10 in a well coded game is amazing. Unfortunatly the first DX10 game i played was the bug infested Hellgate London , and it was a failure. FarCry2 in DX10 is awsome though!!!

I switched back to XP once early into my Vista (or as i call it "Pista") experience but missed the DX10 and whipped Vista64.

ATI Tool is fail with new ati, i just use RivaTuner 2.11 for all my OC'ing needs. I flip flop from nvidia and ati, it just handles them all. ATItool never get's updated anymore (I loved it when I had my X850XT a while back)

Thank you all very much for your replies, I appreciate it and look forward to my new Vista OS which is on the way from the Egg later this week.

:D

yes indeed...it seems that most of the vista complaining is over and that for the most part involved initial complaints during the launch and younger life of the operating system. Vista 64-bit is truly an excellent os for gaming and i have no major complaints for much of anything else...that can't be tweaked anyway.

hope you like it :)

I had some problems with vista ultimate x64 and multimonitor setup to tv-out. Dual booted xp pro on the same box and all is fine and dandy. I need to get a new video card though and when I do I shall attempt vista again. Currently using a POS Radeon 3450 :D

Also, I've read about a lot of problems where the atikmdag (and nvidia equivalent) driver stops responding and gets recovered and sometimes BSODs. How are all your experiences with that?

I've had bsods running multi monitor on vista - one of the reasons im back to xp now :(

Other than that the OS works like a charm though. And I like being able to use 4GB+ :D

Edited by viperk1