First Build -gaming Rig- Advice Welcome

Stefb06

First, I wanted to say I am really impressed with the Overclockers' Club website and forums. I did a lot of research and found the reviews and forum to be one of the best on the web. Therefore, I have joined the forum in hopes of getting advice and reviews to help me with my first build in a couple weeks. Note: I have already bought most of the parts for this system, but am willing to replace or get refunds if it is necessary or worth the effort.

Anyway, here goes: ($1430.88)

• CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9950 Black Edition
  • Motherboard: MSI DKA790GX Platinum
  • RAM: 2x Corsair XMS2 2x2GB DDR2-1066 Dominator (8GB total)
  • Harddrive: WD Velociraptor 300GB
  • Video Card: XFX Geforce GTX260 Black Edition
  • Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE
  • DVD Write: Samsung 22x
  • Case: Apevia X-Cruiser Black
  • PSU: OCZ EliteXStream 1000W
    ---Ubuntu dual-boot
  • Input: Logitech G15/Logitech G5
  • Cooling: 2x 80mm MASSCOOL fans
    ---Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120mm
    ---ZEROTherm Butterfly BTF90 90mm

Reasoning:

I chose most of the items after 2 or 3 months of research. I chose AMD due to cost mostly, not really worried about being convinced toward Intel, just working with this system pattern. Motherboard for the reviews. I wanted to give the heatsink design and fan a chance from corsair, but I don't know if the 8GB will work, or work at 1066. Velociraptor seems to have had some failures after extensive use, but it looks great and the price just dropped massively. XFX GTX260 Black is so highly reviewed and it dropped to 249 for a day so I had to buy it. I like the look of the case a lot and the design, so I picked that. PSU big enough for upgrading later. Vista 64x for the future, hardware utilization, and gaming, but also want to learn Ubuntu. I really want to use the Sunbeam but it may be too big for my case, and I am sure the heatsink will interfere with the heatsinks from the Corsair sticks, so I am also buy

First off welcome to OCC :)

I know some guys are going to start saying go to Intel and all that so I will leave that alone. A few suggestions I have:

The harddrive you choose I am guessing for max speed? If so you can get some 32MB cache drives that will perform very close and give you a ton more storage space. Any of the upper seagates like the 750, 1 or 1.5 terabyte drives will do just fine in the performance area.

You could go with a smaller PSU and save a few bucks.

I am sorry I have to say it, an Intel setup would mop the floor with that AMD stuff. There I said it nobody can say I didn't. :lol: Overall nice rig. :)

Depending on how quickly you are looking at building AMD is launching some new stuff over the next month or so not sure if that plays into your plans but its food for thought :)

Switch out the PSU for a Corsair 750w (great company) $120;$100 after MIR

Enough wattage to let you add in another card or grab an X2. But I think none of the P45/X38/X48 support SLI, just Crossfire.

AMD proc can be exchanged for a E8400/E8500 or a Q6600. Your choice on Dual vs. Quad.

As for an Intel motherboard, I'm not sure which are good. Usually ASUS and Gigabyte. Too many Intel boards to choose from :wacko: Most users may recommend you get a P45 chipset.

I run 2x WD 16MB Cahce 320GB on Raid 0, gives me 640GB of storage. Plus I only paid $120 for both drives. This was months ago. You can probably get a 32MB Cahce cheaper.

Edited by Krazyxazn

I would agree going with a different psu. Corsair and Antec are psu's that I've used and trust. I know also that PC&C have great psu's. A 650Watt or higher psu should do fine for any single/X2 card. If you do plan on CrossFire (can't use to nVidia cards on the AMD 790GX chipset), then get an AMD video card (either 4850 or 4870). Try a MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard if you want to go AMD and possibly add another XFX Geforce GTX260 Black Edition later

You will see NO difference, or very little difference in sound in using the Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE versus the on-board sound. You might loose a little fps by using the on-board sound, but nothing to get upset about.

Edited by pkilway

I appreciate all the advice, and I am learning lessons that make me wish I had found this forum at least 2 weeks ago, preferably last year! To the guys suggesting intel, its too late for me to turn back from the AMD chip I bought and make my money back. More importantly I want to question the Newegg system on returns. Can I just send back say... my OCZ PSU, and MSI Mobo no questions asked and get a refund (30 day return policy)? Do they require defects or malfunctions for a return? I assume I will pay S&H on the delivery of course. Please let me know- I would like to switch out for the Corsair 750-

Also, storage is no concern to me since I have a notebook for school, and some external harddrives for backup of important things. This system is mostly for gaming, and until I change the plan for that, I think I will stick with the Velociraptor, as 300GB seems more than enough. I can always switch out and upgrade later right?

If you already got the AMD, don't worry about it. Its still good.

Newegg does charge a 15% restocking fee on refunds <_<

Yea you can always switch out and upgrade later. Usually Raid 0 with 2 hard drives would be cheaper than a raptor and more storage. Just as fast, if not faster.