New System, How Often?

flareback

new system, how often?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you do a complete system overhaul or build/buy a new system.

• less than 6 months
    • 6 months - 1 year
    • 1 -1.5 years
    • 1.5 - 2 years
    • 2 - 3 years
    • 3 - 4 years
    • 4 - 5 years
    • > 5 years

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 years with an 80Gb HDD :blink: that's amazing :P

The first one failed after a year, almost exactly. It was a 160GB bullcrap of a drive. So I've had this hard drive replacement in it for about three to four years. I just bought a real old 40GB off of a friend. So hopefully both keep going until I buy a new system, lol. Who knows when that'll be though, lol.

Edited by Ediseye

this one will last me 2.5 years. I am currently doing a sidewayupgrade. where im getting a non-oc'd 775 setup running at the speed of my OC'd 939 setup. just a bit better performance and ill save over 150 watts of power use by doing it. also...i'm seeing my parts in my old rig selling on ebay for more than what the parts i'm replacing it with cost, so this money saving build will actually cost about $175 including the case after my old parts sell. and then i can OC it a bit if i like and really see some serious value. i believe the trick is to keep track of how much your old parts are worth. and stay near a point where you can still get something of value from them. believe it or not, my X1900XT video card is all over ebay for $200 "buy it now". the 4830 knocks it on its butt for half that! same with my motherboard, the asus i just bought is about equal to the used sale value of my a8r32 board on ebay. of course well see what i actually get for these parts but upgrading doesn't always cost alot....you just need a little bit of money to start it happening.

Edited by robAP

About a year and a half ago I bought my first computer in a long while (last one I had was either a Mac Quadra or some PC with a 133MHz proc I forget) a C2D iMac. Yeah I know I went a long time without any comp, but I used my Dad's whenever I needed to, which wasn't very often. Then 6 months ago I decided to build the rig I'm using now. It was a good experience for me and it got me out of the abstraction bubble of Macs. I recon that within another year I will build something new. I'm unsure as to whether it will be Intel or AMD this time because I'm still waiting to see what AMD's response to the I7 will be.

Does that include the gazillion setups you have :P

Some yes and some no.

I have just started researching how to do folding the proper way for max points. I just did it the quick way but I sure don't see the points that I should. Hopefully I can get it all up and running properly over the next few days :)

There's no set time, really. I upgrade when I am no longer satisfied with how my games play. It all depends on what games I'm playing tho'.

+1

Its pretty much an annual thing for me. Being able to afford the hardware is a factor of course.

There's no set time, really. I upgrade when I am no longer satisfied with how my games play. Generally three or four years is about how long that takes. It all depends on what games I'm playing tho'.

:withstupid: Same here :)