Installing Vista, Slow As Hell, Never Completes Installation.

NinjaDude

Hey all I just recently bought a new rig.

Specs

Asus Striker II Formula

Intel Core2 Quad Q9400

Corsair Dominator 4 GB

XFX GTX 260

OCZ 700 WATT PSU

LG Blu-Ray/DVD drive.

500 GB WD Caviar Black.

Now my problem is that when i boot the Computer, It loads up and i boot the DVD of Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit. It seems like its taking a long time to load. about 5-10 mins or so the next screen pops up. after entering the product key it starts the copy files and such. sometimes it gets to the 2nd phase then around a random % it stops and freezes. I restart go through the same process then it went all the way through, I got to the phase where it has to finish the installation then it freezes. This has been going an on problem thing. It also seems that the CD drive takes a while to respond.

Thanks for reading. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by NinjaDude

I'd try a different DVD drive. Also - the installer can appear to freeze up at times but if you leave it alone it should move. It's kinda finicky with odd drives like yours.

How long is it sitting before you're restarting? I'd let it sit for at least 30 minutes before assuming it's stalled, you may have something wonky on your board that's causing it to run slow.

My HTPC did something similar. It took a good 45 minutes to install where my desktop took barely over 20 minutes.

well I let it sit for a while, at one point I actually went out to eat and came back and had it stuck on 37% on expanding files. I even tried installing Windows XP and it gave me problems. building a new rig is always a nightmare O.O im just really dont want to RMA. But i also have run out of ideas.

Memtest would be a good start, as would booting up a LiveCD (any will do) and throwing a couple stress test programs at it. It's entirely possible something is set wrong and the instability is causing you problems (this sounds very likely if XP won't install either).

Thanks for all ur help. I got it to finish installing..... funny thing is when i put the new CD drive in. i accidentally hit the open drive button and it opened, i was like "S@#$" closed it back and it was installing faster than ever >.< haha i guess i will never reformat my cpu again.

It's probably a small scratch on the disc. My old XP pro disc, back in the day, had a scratch on it, and would hang at a certian point... I ejected it, then stuck in a copy of XP home, waited until it copied over about 10 files, then put the pro disc back in :P

Memtest would be a good start, as would booting up a LiveCD (any will do) and throwing a couple stress test programs at it. It's entirely possible something is set wrong and the instability is causing you problems (this sounds very likely if XP won't install either).

This is exactly what happened when I upgraded from an nf4 Ultra-D to a SLI-DR Expert. The new motherboard set my ram to the 1T when it should run at 2T and I couldn't get through the install. I figured it wasn't the disk when I tried 3 different OS's.