The Final Shopping Cart!!!

Thanks for the replies the first time around!

for starters I am thinking about the following:

Asus P5q-E

Intel :angry2: E8400 COME ON AMD GET THE LEAD OUT!

G.Skill 2x2gb (Wasn't on the QVL list but many similar g.skill sticks are and people "rave" about this boards ram compatibility....fingers crossed

HOWEVER..... because of a combo deal on the egg this 780i FTW came to my attention

in the end they come out to 400-405 shipped! I have 2 8800gt's but to be honest wanted to sell them off and maybe get a 260 Core 216 but damn they are $$$$

I am leaning towards the intel board "10R" because I hear a lot more postive feedback from people overclocking on those boards vs Nforce boards....my overclocking on Nforce 4 wans't bad but damn . that Nvidia raid :angry2:

any feedback would be helpful as im on the fence now with these two boards!....anyone see ddr3 as "worth it"

I would say this set of modules. They have the Ascent EVCI based heatspreaders. They definately keep the modules cool. I had 2.1volts going through my DDR3 2000 set and they were barely above room temperature.

I see DDR3 as worth it but many will guide you the other way. But DDR3 is the future for now.

That rig should sit happily at 3.8 - 4 on good air and will likely sit at 3.5 ish on a stock cooler, I've got Patriot Extreme Performance Ram with my P5Q and she'll go to 3.5ghz without touching the timings or any voltages, if I loosen off to 5-5-5-14, well I haven't found the end of it yet (chip gets a bit warm), at least 2000mhz bus speed. Mind you they do run at 2.2v stock!.

ya I KNOW!!! LOL thats sorta why im stuck...im thinking of taking a small FPS hit and gaining a huge amount of processing options buy going with the quad.....I.E. photoshop winrar archives...video etc. I don't do a lot of that but when I do it would be nice knowing it's faster... :thumbs-up:

probably just weld a e8500 on top of a q6600....Then I have a six core

:withstupid:

Edited by oafaloaf